Oversee daily operations of the accounting and finance functions including grants management/funds accounting. Provide accurate, timely, financial information that allows the entire organization to operate effectively, efficiently, and in alignment with its overarching financial goals. Supervise and assist Manager, Finance & Office Operations who handles A/P, IT and Facilities.
Last Updated: March 16, 2020
Position Title: Director of Finance
Supervisor: Chief Operating Officer
- Ensure all financial procedures are executed in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Recommend and implement effective fiscal policies and programs.
- Manage accounting and finance functions including payables, receivables, payroll, general ledger accounting, reconciliations, and month-end and year-end close. Prepare departmental and consolidated operating and financial statements.
- Support all internal functions with requests, regular and ad hoc, for financial information.
- Assist in the development of the annual budget.
- Develop and implement budget planning, monitoring, and reporting.
- Prepare and interpret financial reports and analysis used by management and the Board of Directors’ Finance & Audit Committee in fiscal and programmatic decision-making, forecasting and strategic planning.
- Prepare reports to grantors and other external stakeholders as needed/required and ensure compliant and timely reporting. Advise NFPRHA management of issues and concerns.
- Manage annual audit and tax process. Serve as primary point of contact for the auditors.
- Collaborate and work effectively with senior-level staff, Board of Directors, financial institutions, external auditors and governmental and private contractors.
- Manage and track the organization’s liabilities; make suggestions to adequately mitigate risks.
- Research and analyze general economic, business and financial conditions and their impact on NFPRHA’s policies and operations.
- Keep up-to-date on information and technology affecting functions area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- Supervise Manager, Office and Finance Operations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field. CPA preferred.
- 7 years of demonstrated experience in non-profit finance and accounting
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent knowledge of and ability to apply accounting, budgeting, grant financial management and reporting, and financial management principles and practices
- Proven ability to manage all financial activities of a nonprofit organization with revenue from a wide range of donors that include government agencies and private foundations
- Excellent problem-solving skills including identifying and recommending solutions
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work with multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Ability to make timely decisions
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently to achieve common objectives
- Maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical ability
- High ethical standards and values
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-up skills
- Credibility and confidence to educate, inform, and present to internal and external stakeholders.
- Technology savvy and ability to support Manager, Office and Finance Operations, in communications and oversight of IT outsourcing vendors
- Computer literate, excellent spreadsheet abilities, solid Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook abilities, and automated accounting systems competency; experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge and Raisers Edge preferred
- Good sense of humor and willingness to pitch in where needed
- Strong commitment to NFPRHA’s mission
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally, to attend finance related content at meetings of NFPRHA’s Board of Directors.
- Background and credit check required.
Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]; please include "Director of Finance" in the subject line. No phone calls.