Do you love pets and want to keep them in loving homes with people who need them? Do you have what it takes to develop and maintain relationships with major donors and community relations staff at leading companies that result in raising a lot of money for a great cause to make a huge difference in the world? Then we need you! Now for the dry stuff…
One Health Organization seeks a Director of Community Relations & Development to work closely with the President & CEO to cultivate and manage relationships and strategic funding partners through all stages of the donor cycle toward the development of major gifts.
They will be skillful in communicating with donors and potential donors who embrace a wide variety of beliefs about the relationships between people and animals. They will believe in evidence-based approaches to protect human and animal health and trust scientific community leaders regarding the use and administration of vaccines and medications developed to protect, maintain, or improve human or animal health.
Overview of Specific Responsibilities
While the following are a long list of responsibilities, the primary focus is on building relationships towards securing major gifts. As an Organizational Partner at The Cleveland Foundation, additional funding opportunities are available with support provided. Contract employees will handle the bulk of the digital and print media needed for standard outreach using postcards and letters for introducing One Health Organization to new people and sending out appeals (digital and print media). The grants plan involves maintaining relationships with existing funders and developing relationships with new funders. The President & CEO is a true partner in building and maintaining relationships with a mutually agreed-upon plan using a strategic process.
Individual Giving, Donor Advised Funds, and Major Gifts
Manage donor-relations initiatives and lead One Health Organization stakeholders (including Officers and Board of Directors) to build relationships with individual donors. Tools available include a list of individuals and donor-advised funds to pursue in the Bloomerang database (ProspectView by DonorSearch and Benevon for Bloomerang are included), Givebutter, Dropbox, Microsoft Office 365, and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
- Create and implement an annual calendar of relationship management with relevant key performance indicators and benchmarks.
- Proactively create and implement a periodic communications plan which connects with current major donors and prospects.
- Creatively and proactively engage the President & CEO and Board of Directors to optimize long-term relationships with donors and to explore new major gift prospects.
- Oversee the acknowledgment and correspondence for all gifts and maintain complete and accurate records.
Corporate and Community Partnerships
Manage corporate and community partnerships to increase the number of Board Member and committee prospects, as well as raising funds. Manage the planning, logistics, execution, and follow-up for special events, including sponsor solicitation. Additional tools available include a list of organizations to pursue, as well as BIG Online, a Metasoft Systems product.
- Execute one (1) annual fundraising event, which may be live or online, or both.
- Create and implement sponsorship opportunities for informational webinars directed at pet owners.
- Create and implement sponsorship opportunities for informational webinars directed at those who serve pet owners, including veterinary teams and others who provide services to pets that can maintain or improve pet health or preserve the human-animal bond.
- Develop and manage volunteer event committees for events.
- Develop sponsorship packages and solicit sponsorships.
- Serve as the primary representative with community events that benefit One Health Organization.
- Explore One Health Organization Ambassador program with corporate and community partners using concepts learned from the Benevon model of sustainable funding (permission-based funding).
Fully oversee all aspects of grants for One Health Organization in collaboration with the Grant Writer.
- Provide oversight to the Grant Writer who is responsible for maintaining the grants calendar to track proposal/report due dates, reporting criteria, communications history, and other relevant information.
- Review and approve strong and compelling grant materials, reporting language, budgets, and other required attachments for grant applications and reports.
- Work with the Administrative Assistant to steward funders by sending acknowledgment letters, project updates, reports, and other communications.
- Work with program staff to collect and report on outcomes and achievements to ensure proposal and reporting language accurately reflects activities of One Health Organization.
- Ensure compliance with funder requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Research, qualify, and initiate new funding opportunities.
Other Development Activities
Hold once monthly meetings with the President & CEO to engage the Resource Development Committee, Sustainable Funding Committee, and the Young Professionals for One Health Team to leverage the online donation platform Givebutter. BoardEffect is the tool used to communicate agendas, meeting materials, meeting minutes, and other information with committees and the Board.
- Update fund development plan and results monthly for development meetings.
- Update the development dashboard for quarterly Board meetings.
- Lead volunteer development committee & President & CEO to explore new ways of increasing donor awareness and financial support.
- Attend staff meetings, as directed by the President & CEO.
- Attend Board meetings, as directed by the President & CEO.
- Lead all development committee meetings and attend other committee meetings, as directed by the President & CEO.
- Supervise staff, interns, or volunteers to whom you delegate any of the above duties.
- Develop annual and long-range goals and strategies for meeting the fund development need of the organization.
- Contribute to the maintenance and accuracy of the donor management system (Bloomerang).
- Other development and programmatic duties, as assigned.
- 2-5 years experience in development, strategic communications, and/or marketing for nonprofit organizations.
- Well organized and detail-oriented with the ability to see the big picture.
- Experience building relationships with foundation, individual, and corporate donors.
- A positive and authentic approach to relationship building that is motivated by the organization’s mission and a genuine investment in working to keep pets and people healthy at home.
- Demonstrated ability to write persuasively to motivate and influence a wide audience of potential donors.
- Knowledge of best practices of grant preparation and administration and of fundraising information resources.
- Self-starter with the ability to initiate and produce high-quality work in a timely manner with minimum supervision.
- Flexible, calm under pressure, and able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Facility with word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software.
- Experience with Bloomerang, FoundationSearch, BIG Online, BoardEffect, PowerPoint, and Dropbox software a plus.
The salary range for this position is $90-95K. Benefits may include covering 50% of healthcare coverage, mobile phone allowance, and a flexible work arrangement.
This opportunity will be open until the position is filled.