The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for a Foundation Relations Advisor. The location of this position is flexible
In this role, you are responsible for establishing and cultivating relationships with current and potential funders to increase foundation giving, achieve mutual goals, and build long-term relationships . You will research and develop a portfolio of foundations with the potential to fund mission priority projects across the country to include identifying, planning, preparing and presenting grant proposals and accompanying materials (including budgets and timelines), as well as completing appropriate follow-through and stewardship for multiple grants/gifts. You will collaborate with colleagues to develop priority, principal gift opportunities across the Foundation Relations department.
- Works with other Foundation Relations team members to strategize and develop principal gift opportunities.
- Identifies and qualifies top potential foundations (up to 50) capable of giving major gifts within assigned geographical areas of the AHA.
- Develops cultivation and solicitation plans/timelines for each donor in portfolio, updating regularly as plans advance and evolve.
- Actively and positively develops each relationship through a variety of communications, including phone, email, face to face meetings and involvement of internal partners and volunteers.
- Manages the proposal development and submission process; preparing correspondence, Letters of Inquiry, proposals, reports and other documents; each that are well-written, compelling, consistent with the strategic direction and funding needs of the AHA, and that respond to donor goals.
- Conducts external research on prospective foundation donors and continually builds an understanding of the goals and interests of those foundations.
- Records all donor plans and activity in Blackbaud CRM (similar to The Raiser’s Edge) and provides regular progress reporting as requested.
- Works with grants administrators to ensure timely and high-impact reports to donors.
- Collaborates with other Mission Advancement divisions – Individual Giving, Corporate Relations, Foundation Relations – to develop, secure and monitor major and principle level gifts.
- Develops own depth of mission knowledge and insight needed to effectively communicate with donors.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in foundation relations and proposal preparation, including but not limited to: lead writer role for foundation grant proposals, experience in donor-centered cultivation and relationship building, and developing grant budgets, timelines and deliverables
- Experience collaborating with program partners, other internal team members and volunteers
- Requires exceptional writing skills, strong communication skills, fluency in office technology
- Ability to travel approximately 25% including some overnight stays
- Experience leading cross-functional groups, facilitating strategy and action with a focus on collaborative solutions
- Experience and knowledge of public health initiatives
- Experience working across geographical markets
- Database research and management