The American Heart Association (AHA) is looking to fill a Major Gifts / Individual Giving Advisorposition responsible for the Greater Boston area.
The individual selected for this role will be responsible for:
- cultivating relationships with both current and past AHA donors who have a proven interest in the mission;
- qualifying and cultivating prospective donors who are not currently associated with AHA to connect them with our mission;
- becoming a subject matter expert on the American Heart Association’s restricted fundraising programs;
- securing donations of $100,000 or more while moving donors to their highest level of commitment and involvement;
- completing a minimum of 150 face-to-face donor and prospective donor visits each fiscal year
- developing and managing an individual portfolio of approximately 40 individual donors across the assigned region with the ability to give $100 thousand or more
- closing between $500 thousand and $1.5 million minimum annually from individual donors through a variety of giving mechanisms including but not limited to outright, stock, family foundation, deferred mechanisms, planned gift mechanisms, etc.;
- conducting solicitation of 10-15 six and seven figure gifts annually for restricted and unrestricted purposes;
- collaborating with local fundraising directors on strategies and opportunities to identify, cultivate and solicit major gift prospects to support field events and initiatives. Be a resource and leader in transforming donor and volunteer relationships across field campaigns;
- creating and leveraging customized strategic events in select markets to cultivate donor relationships;
- attending and supporting affiliate market activities and social events, Health Strategies events, and other hallmark events that drive the AHA’s overall unrestricted revenue campaign;
- creating and executing individual strategies for donors and prospects in the portfolio to ensure growth of donor relationships;
- working with the Mission Advancement Team to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and creating offers, proposals and asks that will be used to secure gifts;
- maintaining accurate and timely records of all activities in donor database (BBCRM). Report activity, trends, progress and results to National Team Leader, Major Gifts, association-wide Donor Relations team, or other various internal audiences on a monthly basis;
- participating in training activities and work with other team members to develop programs and strategies to advance the Major Gifts effort.
In this role, you will report to the Major Giving Director Eastern Region for our Mission Advancement team and will be based in our Waltham, MA office.
If you want to join our mission and be a “Relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives”, review the preferred skills we are looking for below: ( Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- experience in securing major gifts or large accounts, preferably supporting large scale research on health and/or community issues;
- experience working with complex donors or clients representing $100,000 or more in revenue or philanthropy with proven fundraising or sales results at the six-and seven-figure level;
- experience in identifying and developing major giving and/or engagement opportunities that align with organizational mission, goals and strategies at national and local levels;
- experience with all areas of cultivation, solicitation and closing sales or fundraising;
- demonstrated collaborative skills with all levels of staff, prospects, volunteers and donors;
- demonstrated verbal and written communication skills;
- willingness to work outside standard office hours as needed, including early morning, evenings and weekends in support of your events;
- willing to travel within your territory on a daily basis as well as occasional travel to other locations in the affiliate and to our National Center in Dallas, Texas for meetings or training.
To help you be successful you will have access to our award-winning learning platform the Heart U as well as our sales training & relationship development program- Building Powerful Partnerships which received a 2017 Learning! 100 Award from Elearning! Media Group, and various other training and support mechanisms locally and through our National Center.
- Education: Related experience may be substituted as follows: 1 ½ years ’ experience equates to 1 full time year of higher education.
- Experience: Must have at least 5 years of experience in fundraising or outside sales closing gifts or sales of $100,000 plus, preference will be given to candidates with prior major gifts/individual giving experience. This experience may also count towards satisfying this position’s educational requirement.
Attracting talented, committed employees means offering a competitive benefits package, ongoing professional development and training, and a diverse and inclusive environment in which to work and grow. And we do.