As a key member of the executive senior management team, the Vice President of Finance and Administration will work closely with the President and CEO on financial policy and direction while being an active participant in, and driver of, the organization’s overall strategy. Responsible for financial matters to ensure accountability and proper administration in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, legal and other regulatory standards, grant requirements, and nonprofit business practices. Direct and oversee the finance, accounting, budgeting, treasury, risk management, human resources, payroll, benefit administration and IT efforts of the organization. The Vice President of Finance and Administration works in collaboration with other departments including the Resource Development team providing guidance to meet strategic goals, as well as Community Impact to assist with grant tracking deliverables and allocations.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range finance, human resources and IT department goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures. Establish critical measures, monitor financial performance and develop solutions to business challenges.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of financial reports, budgets and financial trends for effective communications with internal management, the Finance Committee and the Board of Trustees.
- Act as lead staff for Finance/Audit/Investment Committee. Keep Finance Committee apprised of organization’s financial condition, including areas of fiscal stewardship, financial performance, investment policies and performance, and adequacy of reserves. Engage the Committee around issues, trends and changes in the organization’s operating model and operational delivery.
- Partner with the President and CEO on operational and strategic issues; provide strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis in conjunction with mission-based work.
- Participate in ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior management team; engage with senior leadership to align financial management with short-and long-term financial planning and projections.
- Develop finance organizational strategies by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establish functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
Financial and Operational Management:
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management reporting for decision-making that mitigates risks and results in strong financial performance.
- Ensure effective internal controls are in place and in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial reporting and IRS 990 filing.
- Ensure effective treasury operations through strong cash management practices and appropriate product solutions.
- Ensure timely and quality processes for audits, tax returns, and other compliance reporting as appropriate.
- Enhance and/or develop and implement finance- and IT-related policies and procedures by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization. Seek full range of business solutions.
- Engage other members of senior management team to facilitate cross-department collaboration that ensures financial and IT services positively support the organization’s evolving strategy, operational delivery and data collection needs.
- Develop and manage direct staff; guide larger multi-disciplinary teams outside of direct span of control. Evaluate finance, human resources and IT division structures and team plans for continual improvement and employees’ professional development.
- Update knowledge by remaining apprised of new regulations, new technologies and new business practices. Educate others on financial matters by providing financial advice and sharing knowledge for continual improvement.
- Maintain relationships with investment community and professional organizations. Act as primary contact for banks, insurance companies, audit firms and other vendors.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION:
- Oversee the operations of United Way of Ventura County’s finance and administrative staff.
Salary: $81,000 to $90,000 per year