United Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) has made a promise to our community—to change the odds so all children and their families have the same chance to succeed in school and life. We have adopted a unique approach to community problem-solving called collective impact, which allows us to directly engage with communities. The Volunteer Engagement Team does this through high impact volunteer events, ongoing volunteer opportunities, and providing schools with in-kind donations.
We are a collaborative, high-energy, and creative team looking for a temporary assistant who can be an integral part in the creation and implementation of our volunteer events and projects during our spring/summer event season. Events schedule during this season include Read Across America Day (March 2), Stuff the Bus (July 27 - August 1), Day of Caring (September 10, based on availability), and multiple smaller volunteer events. The assistant will gain broad experience in various aspects of event creation and volunteer management, volunteer management software administration, event sponsorships, and community engagement strategies.
The Volunteer Events Assistant will be an essential member of the Volunteer Engagement Team, helping us manage both behind the scenes and public-facing pieces of our volunteer events and projects!
- Volunteer events & projects: creating event registration pages, recruiting and communicating with volunteers, assisting with event logistics, scheduling meetings, ordering supplies, assisting at events, gathering feedback, sending thank you’s, etc.
- Data entry and tracking: utilizing volunteer management software, compiling event data, submitting receipts, tracking committee attendance in Salesforce, drafting and tracking sponsor agreements, running Salesforce reports, adding interactions in Salesforce
- In-kind donations: soliciting in-kind donations, managing recruitment of school supply drives for Stuff the Bus, creating donation wish lists, tracking and supporting kit packing projects, and other in-kind donations
- Volunteer team support: ordering and picking-up food for committee meetings, setting-up and cleaning-up for committee meetings, taking meeting notes
- Performing other related duties as assigned
This opportunity is ideal for individuals with an interest in event management, volunteer management, and/or nonprofit management. Individuals who are organized, excited about events and volunteerism, and passionate about social change should apply!
- Experience managing volunteers and/or event planning preferred
- Proficient with Google and Microsoft suites
- Highly organized and self motivated with strong follow-up and follow through
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently in oral and written formats
- Willingness to take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to relate openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Ability to work 20 hours/week within normal business hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Some early morning, evening, or weekend hours required
- Preferred commitment January - August or September based on applicants schedule; approximately 20 hours/week with the potential for additional hours the week of events
- Must have access to reliable transportation to travel to and transport event materials within our service area
Less than $20,000 per year