The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for a Director, Major Giving, Western States for Mission Advancement Operations in our National Center located in Dallas, Texas. This position can be remote, but must live near a major airport within the region assigned to Western States.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading a regional team of Individual Giving Advisors who are independently securing donations up to $3 million annually. Direct responsibility of team leadership and team goal in excess of $5M. Responsible for cultivating relationships with both current and past AHA donors who have a proven interest in the mission. Responsible for leading by example in qualifying and cultivating prospective donors who are not currently associated with AHA to connect them with our mission. Responsible for being a subject matter expert on the American Heart Association’s restricted fundraising programs and for individually securing donations of $500,000 or more while moving donors to their highest level of commitment and involvement.
- Mentorship and direct management of a team of 3-5 Individual Giving Advisors; travel 35% of the time to meet with principal gift level ($1M+ ) and major gift ($500k+) donors as well as direct reports in their markets to coach and ensure strategic management of major gifts. Coach and lead direct reports toward successful collaborative solicitations of six and seven-figure unrestricted and restricted gifts from individuals, securing $5M+ million annually.
- Complete 50 face-to-face donor and prospective donor visits each fiscal year in order to develop and manage an individual portfolio of approximately 25 individual donors across the assigned region with the ability to give $500,000 or more. Drive strategy and ensure growth of donor relationships within portfolio.
- Partner with senior Field leadership colleagues to create custom strategies and advise on stewardship to broaden and deepen each relationship. Guide and inspire direct reports to create and leverage customized strategic events in select markets to cultivate donor relationships and solicit major gifts.
- Integrate her or his subject matter expertise into existing training, strategy sessions, consulting services, and market meetings to equip other leaders across the field teams and assigned region with the skills, confidence, and knowledge needed to identify and cultivate a major giving culture.
- Attend and support region market activities and social events, Health Strategies events, and other hallmark events that drive the AHA’s overall unrestricted revenue campaign.
- Lead by example in the maintenance of accurate and timely records of all activities in donor database (BBCRM). Report activity, trends, progress and results association-wide Donor Relations team, or other various internal audiences on a monthly basis.
- Eight (8) years of experience in identifying and developing complex major giving and/or engagement opportunities that align with organizational mission, goals and strategies at national and local levels.
- Eight (8) years of experience with all areas of cultivation, solicitation and closing sales or fundraising
- Six (6) years of previous experience working with complex individual donors or individual clients representing $500,000 or more in revenue or philanthropy with proven fundraising or sales results at the six- and seven-figure level
- Demonstrated collaborative skills with all levels of staff, prospects, volunteers and donors
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Six (6) years of experience using donor relationship management software, such as BBCRM, Blackbaud, Dynamics and/or Raiser’s Edge
- Travel 35-50%