Maize is a staple food for 900 million people living on less than US$2 a day. Maize is the most important food crop in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), where it occupies approximately 24% of the region’s farmland, more than any other staple crop. For maize improvement to contribute to SDG 5 on gender equality and women’s empowerment, it is essential that product profiles and new improved maize varieties for Africa’s smallholder farmers address the needs and preferences of both women and men. At the same time, the national maize seed sector and related value chains, must serve smallholder farmers – and especially women farmers – efficiently by providing access to and information about and high-quality seed of modern stress-tolerant varieties.
To expand the evidence base for addressing these challenges and strengthen the integration of gender and social inclusion in our agricultural research-for-development (R4D) portfolio for sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, CIMMYT is seeking an experienced, dynamic, pro-active, resourceful and results-oriented gender and agriculture researcher to join its Socio-Economics Program in the region.
The selected candidate will form part of CIMMYT’s Socio-Economics Program and will work in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s other programs, and local and international partners. In alignment with CIMMYT’s strategy for gender and social inclusion in maize R4D, the selected candidate will work with colleagues and partners to expand the current evidence base on gender and social inclusion, particularly in gender-intentional seed delivery, value chain development, and agricultural livelihood improvements in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, develop relevant policy recommendations and promote gender-transformative R4D practice.
- Design and conduct research to identify and understand barriers to women and the poor’s access to and adoption of improved maize (and wheat) varieties in eastern and southern Africa and South Asia.
- Based on research findings, develop and test innovative strategies and modalities for improving women and poor farmers’ access to and use of stress-tolerant maize varieties via formal seed systems.
- Work with marketing researchers, maize(-/wheat) breeders and other colleagues to integrate a gender perspective into product profiles and regional on-farm trials, including the related collection and analysis of sex-disaggregated data regarding farmers’ varietal and trait preferences.
- Collaborate with marketing researchers and seed companies to 1) access the strategies and capacities to seed companies to reach women and poor farmers and 2) develop and test innovative gender-intentional seed delivery tools in specific market segments.
- Lead research and promote avenues for integrating gender-intentional and gender transformative approaches in R4D, including institutional learning and change through networking and capacity strengthening.
- Lead resource mobilization to strengthen gender and social inclusion in R4D.
- Gender focal point for CIMMYT and partake in relevant committees/projects/platforms.
- Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Assist CIMMYT management in any other matters as and when required.
- D. in social sciences, e.g., economics, sociology, anthropology, feminist economics, or related fields from a recognized university, and with a strong focus on gender and social inclusion.
- Strong theoretical and methodological background in design of research related to gender and social inclusion, with a track record of publishing insightful research in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Minimum eight (8) years post-PhD relevant experience working with gender/social inclusion-and-agriculture issues in developing countries (experience in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage).
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills, with keen interest in and experience with mixed methods (qualitative and quantitative).
- Proven leadership-, interpersonal-, and cross-cultural skills, including ability to work with and motivate multi-disciplinary teams and to develop strong and effective working relationships with colleagues and partners, including those from the private sector.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including strategic thinking and ability to present coherent and convincing analysis to different audiences.
- A high degree of personal organization, the ability to work under pressure, and willingness to travel.
- Experience with project management, including planning, physical and financial implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and donor reporting, is an advantage.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Team Leadership, Communication and Critical Thinking.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online (https://cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com/forms/irs20117_ssgender-agricultural...) for IRS20117_(Senior) Scientist – Gender and Agriculture Researcher. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Thursday September 17th, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. This is an upgrade and re-advertisement to the earlier IRS20117_Associate Scientist – Gender and Agriculture Researcher and those that applied to the earlier position do not need to reapply. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at [email protected]
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
Please copy and paste the following link in your browser to apply formally for this vacancy https://cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com/forms/irs20117_ssgender-agricultural...