Located in Lynchburg, Virginia, Greater Lynchburg Habitat for Humanity is an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. GLHFH offers a hand up to hard-working, financially stable families, partnering with them to build safe, affordable homes.
THE PROFESSIONAL FUNDRAISING SPECIALIST is responsible for planning and coordinating all aspects of resource development for GLHFH. Leadership for all friend-raising initiatives, including special events, major gifts, planned giving, and home sponsorship acquisition. Additionally, the Specialist will solicit in-kind services and product donations for the homebuilding program and the ReStore. The Specialist will work with the Board of Director’s Development Committee to create a Resource Development Plan with a focus to obtain ongoing and increased support from corporate sponsors, public and private foundations, the faith community, and individual sponsors. This position offers the potential for growth in future responsibilities.
- Work with the Executive Director, Development Committee, Board of Directors, and staff to develop and implement a long-range development plan which meets the funding and sponsorship goals outlined in the Strategic Plan. Prepare comprehensive annual fundraising plans complete with dates, roles, events, needs, etc. Plans should focus on strengthening as well as increasing the donor base.
- Craft and disseminate the message about the mission of Habitat for Humanity to end poverty housing, building on the power of the Habitat brand and the long history of success in the Lynchburg community.
- Focus on retaining and expanding the base of Habitat for Humanity sponsors. Help the Executive Director establish and maintain relationships with donors in four key areas:
- Corporate sponsorships: continually build on existing relationships and seek to expand and create new ones.
- Public and Private Foundations: find opportunities for grant funding when the mission of Habitat intersects with requests for grant proposals.
- The faith community: continue to build relationships with our long term church sponsors and cultivate new church sponsorships wherever possible.
- Individual sponsors: maintain relationships with our long term donors while seeking connections with more individuals who have a heart for our client families.
- Seek to arrange major donor visits with the Executive Director and board members.
- Manage the Habitat stakeholder Donor Perfect database and the program of gift acknowledgment.
- Organize fundraising events included in the Resource Development Plan.
- Work with the Volunteer Manager to cultivate volunteers as donors and donors as volunteers.
- Assist with the development of print and electronic materials necessary for raising funds and marketing Greater Lynchburg Habitat for Humanity. These include the annual appeal letter, brochures and print materials, the website, presentations, videos, testimonials, and other materials in support of fund raising and public awareness.
- Involve board members in affiliate fundraising to expand and personalize outreach.
Administrative & Financial
- Develop a budget and monitor expenses related to the development function. Maintain complete and accurate records of all fundraising events and activities.
- Maintain and expand the existing database and update records regularly using feedback from direct mail, telephone contacts, volunteers, donors to the ReStore, and other sources.
- Establish committee and support structures to ensure timely completion of tasks. Provide reports to the Executive Director and Development Committee on activities and achievements regularly. Provide staff support to the Development Committee by coordinating meetings, developing agendas and goals, and providing needed information to committee members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Pass a background check.
- Must have a clear desire to serve people. Must be friendly, flexible, enthusiastic, and passionate about the Christian ministry of Habitat for Humanity.
- Possess an associate’s or higher degree with at least three years of proven experience in raising substantial funds from individuals, corporations, and other organizations.
- Give meticulous attention to detail.
- Be proficient in public speaking and able to express ideas verbally and in writing.
- Possess excellent writing skills, with experience in successful annual appeals and grant writing. Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Have the ability to plan, organize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently.
- Be able to work collaboratively and effectively with and among diverse populations.
- Must be competent in computer skills such as Microsoft Office and database management.
- Demonstrated ability to raise money through individual and corporate giving programs.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the physical requirements necessary to complete the essential job duties.