MALDEF is the nation’s leading non-profit Latino civil rights law firm. Founded in 1968, MALDEF works to safeguard the civil rights of Latinos and to increase the community’s ability to participate fully in American society. We currently seek a Special Events Associate to plan and coordinate local, regional, and national events to ensure successful fundraising through effective interaction with volunteer leadership, MALDEF staff, and outside donors.
Job Responsibilities: The Special Events Associate interfaces with board members, staff members, corporate sponsors and regional community leaders to establish a strategy to increase donor involvement in development activities and public relations events. Works with various MALDEF staff, volunteer leadership, and vendors to execute successful and effective special event and program activities; coordinates all phases of special events and program activities including: program development, donor solicitation, publicity, and marketing; invitation lists; logistics; event progression, and post-event/program follow-up. With direction from the President & General Counsel and the Vice President of Development, creates an annual budget for individual events and programs, accurately estimates all expenses and revenues, and accounts for all actual costs associated with each event; negotiates with vendors to ensure best pricing for goods and services; and plans and executes follow-up communications and activity to develop and involve potential donors.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Special events experience in a nonprofit or other setting required.
- A successful track record in event/program planning and donor development in a nonprofit setting; demonstrated volunteer management experience.
- Knowledge of database management; and knowledge of office management and procedures are also required.
- Availability to work a variable schedule that includes overtime, evenings, and weekends is required.
- Must be able to travel by automobile or airplane as required, and must have a valid driver’s license, current liability insurance and access to a reliable automobile.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of a broad range of successful event/program coordination activities such as: publicity, including social media; menu planning and food selection; theme decorations; entertainment; invitation/program design and printing; arrangements with hotel and conference services and facilities; protocol; utilization of volunteer and staff resources; budgeting and cost containment; on-site coordination and problem-solving.
- Demonstrated success in event planning, with the ability to develop and provide creative, well-planned and executed events/programs; to handle a multiplicity of tasks and details simultaneously; and to function well in a high-pressure environment.
- Effective interpersonal skills; strong written and verbal English communication skills; excellent organizational and time management skills; flexibility, sound judgment, excellent follow-through, diplomacy, and sensitivity to diverse audiences are essential.
- The successful candidate will have a working knowledge of the Internet and Microsoft Office programs.
- Bilingual (English /Spanish) skills are desirable.
$38,500 to $45,000 per year DOE plus benefits.
MALDEF offers a generous benefits package including 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision for the employee and qualified dependent family members, as short- and long-term disability insurance, term life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer-direct contribution and match, employee assistance plan, 11 paid holidays, and 20 days of personal time off (PTO) per year.
Send cover letter, résumé, and 3 to 5 page writing sample by email to: [email protected]. For ease of processing please title your email as follows: Your Name – LA Special Events Associate. Attachments should be in .doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt or .pdf format. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Position Open Until Filled. ■ Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, visit: www.maldef.org
Follow us on Twitter: @maldefjobs
Friend us on Facebook: Maldef HR