MALDEF is the nation’s leading non-profit Latino civil rights legal organization. Founded in 1968, MALDEF works to safeguard the civil rights of Latinos and to increase the community’s ability to participate fully in American society. We currently seek an Associate Director of Development - Corporate Relations and Individual Giving to serve as the primary fundraiser in corporate relations and individual giving, stewarding gifts of $25,000 and above.
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding established fundraising goals.
- In cooperation with the Vice President of Development, prepares a written strategic fundraising plan for the Corporate and Individual Giving programs that establishes annual quantitative and qualitative goals, objectives, and key accountabilities aimed at maintaining and increasing the numbers of both corporate and individual donors and the total dollars raised; and prepares and submits regular written reports of progress.
- Identifies local and national corporate business donors and develops effective strategies for solicitation. Identifies and evaluates new donor prospects and develops and implements cultivation and solicitation strategies focused on prospects capable of making donations of $25,000 or more.
- The Associate Director of Corporate Relations and Individual giving assists the Vice President of Development with recruiting, managing, and developing major gift and corporate donors; works closely with the Special Events Associates to secure key corporate sponsorships; travels to regional offices and other sites for corporate fundraising and major donor events; and is responsible for donor relations and for maintaining a system for tracking and acknowledging gifts.
- In collaboration with program and finance staff, prepares and submits grant proposals, budgets, and reports to funders. Maintains donor profiles and submits contact reports using fundraising prospect management system to acknowledge gifts and track donor giving history.
- Supports other development activities as needed.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising or related field, preferably in a nonprofit setting, with a strong emphasis on writing and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated track record of solid fundraising results and demonstrated success soliciting major gifts, including the ability to plan, organize, and execute fundraising activities effectively, as well as the ability to participate in high-level corporate and foundation solicitations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The successful candidate will possess strong knowledge of corporations and foundations, their structure, and giving patterns; the ability to set priorities, to coordinate multiple projects, and to personally ask for and to close gifts;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate MALDEF’s mission and to produce clear, grammatically correct, and persuasive correspondence, program information, publicity material, and funding proposals;
- Highly energetic, goal-oriented self-starter with outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills and possess the ability to deal effectively and comfortably with high-level donor prospects;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- Highly-motivated with attention to detail and the ability to meet goals and deadlines; ability to handle multiple projects and to perform well under pressure; strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a part of a team, to collaborate with others, and to take direction; strong administrative skills with the ability to work with volunteers, board members, and corporate leaders is required.
- Must have broad knowledge of local, state, and national Latino issues, organizations, and leadership and excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office and strong social media media/Internet-based fundraising skills; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge is highly preferred.
- The ability to speak Spanish is desirable.
$55,000/year to $75,000 depending on experience.
MALDEF offers a generous benefits package, including 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision for the employee and qualified dependent family members, short- and long-term disability insurance, term life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution and match, employee assistance plan, 11 paid holidays, and 20 days of personal time off (PTO) per year and an annual bonus.
Send cover letter and résumé by email to: [email protected].
For ease of processing please title your email as follows: Your Name – LA Assc Dir of CR & IG.
Attachments should be in .doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt or .pdf format.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Position Open Until Filled. ■ Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, visit: www.maldef.org
Follow us on Twitter: @maldefjobs ■ Friend us on Facebook: Maldef HR