The United Way of the Flint Hills is seeking an Executive Director to oversee the administration, programs, fundraising, and community outreach of the organization.
United Way of the Flint is a 501(c) 3 organization whose mission is to build a vibrant community by focusing on education, income and health. Established in 1938, the United Way has a long history of supporting a variety of local organizations and creating its own programs and initiatives to address issues facing communities. United Way takes seriously its role to be a thought leader in the community and has established partnerships and relationships with a variety of nonprofit organizations, businesses, and associations to improve the quality of life for our residents. United Way of the Flint Hills serves the residents of Chase, Coffey, Greenwood, Lyon, Morris, Osage, Wabaunsee and Woodson counties.
The following list of major duties is performed by the executive director and is not inclusive.
Fundraising and Community Outreach
- Represent the organization in key community events, meetings, and activities.
- Ensure the organization’s community outreach prioritizes education, health and financial stability.
- Lead annual fundraising efforts to raise up to $600,000 annually.
- Lead grant writing efforts to support ongoing initiatives such as Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.
- Serves as primary media spokesperson.
- Coordinates or oversees public awareness and publicity of the work and activities of the organization within the community.
- Represents the organization, the community and the donors in the regional, state and national United Way organizations. Participates in state and national meetings.
- Ensures that United Way maintains an active social media presence across multiple platforms and ensures that the website is relevant and timely.
Community Partner Collaboration
- Works with 24 Community Partners to ensure that the work they are performing using United Way funds are meeting established outcomes.
- Meets with Community Partners at least once a year to stay abreast of their programs, services, opportunities and challenges in order for United Way to support them and the community.
- Ensures that Community Partners are in compliance with Memorandum of Agreement and Grant Agreement.
- Keeps Community Partners informed of United Way, our campaign, and our expectations for a successful partnership.
- Manages grant process for annual funding, including creation and distribution of application, recruitment of Community Investment Committee members, and reporting recommendations to the Board of Directors for their approval.
- Manages Emerging Needs Grant application process, including publicity, collection of applications, and preparation for review by the Executive Committee.
Collaboration with the Board of Directors
- Work closely with the board of director’s to ensure the organization is achieving its mission.
- With the executive committee, manage the work of the board and keep them informed of the organization’s operational, financial, and fundraising efforts.
- Brings items needing board action to the Board of Directors and/or Finance Committee for timely inclusion on the agenda. Meets regularly with the Board of Directors and committees and provides updates on work activities.
- Is accountable for income and expenditures in accordance with the budget and funding requirements. Makes timely reports to the Board regarding financial matters. Prepares the annual budget based on anticipated funds and determined program priorities and submits it to the board of directors for approval.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and other assigned committees to ensure the successful implementation of the UWFH strategic plan. Implements priorities and long term goals of the board. Develops strategies and action plan to achieve goals. Reports progress in implementation to the board.
Management and Administration
- Provides day to day management of the UWFH in accordance with board policy.
- Maintain relationship with accounting firm to manage organization’s finances and provide direction on financial policies, accounts receivables and payables.
- Hires, directs, evaluates and terminates any paid staff in the UWFH office in accordance with the UWFH’s personnel policy.
- Ensures that United Way technology is fully operational and works with vendors to ensure that there is no interruption to services.
- Nonprofit experience preferred in a senior leadership position
- Fundraising experience
- Supervisory and leadership skills
- Marketing experience
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written)
- Proficient computer skills, especially related to spreadsheets, e-mail and word processing.
- Experience in working as part of a team to accomplish a goal
- Active professional growth, including leadership positions in related organizations
- Budget preparation skills.
- Strategic planning experience