This position assists the Vice President for Marketing & Communications in administration, coordination, creation and implementation of all elements of the marketing, public relations and advertising functions of the United Way of the Midlands. This position will be responsible for managing United Way’s online presence and media relations among other duties.
Create, brand and promote communication concepts that represent the mission and objectives of United Way of the Midlands’ Community Impact, Campaign, special initiatives and other community outreach efforts.
- Maintain and update Media Contacts Directory
- Establish and manage professional relationships with media personnel
- Write and distribute press releases and coordinate media coverage for organizational events and developments
- Develop and implement media plans and strategies for United Way programs, events and initiatives
- Track media coverage and produce reports on earned media value
Digital Marketing/Social Media
- Create content and monitor, analyze and make recommendations on digital marketing efforts.
- Help develop and implement social media content strategies as part of an overall marketing plan to promote United Way.
- Write and proofread copy for marketing materials including newsletters, brochures, campaign materials, annual reports, websites, films and solicitation letters.
- Create, review and edit materials for other departments as needed.
- Working within a project management system to coordinate efforts within the department
- Explore new relationships to increase awareness of United Way of the Midlands
- Manage interns and volunteers as needed.
- Provide communications support to other UWM departments.
- Assist in the planning and execution of all United Way events.
- Attend key events to work with press, assist with setup and other duties as necessary.
- Serve as a representative of United Way, display courtesy, tact consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the UWM community and with the public.
- Safeguard all confidential information used in performance of duties.
- Other duties as necessary or assigned.
- Three to five years of experience in related field.
- Demonstrated strength in writing, proofreading, photography, design and production of marketing and communications projects.
- Experience with website management, social media and digital marketing.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills, attention to detail and project management skills.
- Experience working within a project management system
- Ability to work well with others but also work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, produce results, meet deadlines and manage several projects simultaneously.
- Experience in nonprofit communications.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite products and graphic design skills.
This is a full time, exempt position. Thirty-seven and ½ hours per week (8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) is the general rule. However, depending on project cycles, work flow demands, some before- and after-hours meetings and events, additional hours and weekend work may be required. Out of office meetings may also be required.