For over 40 years, FHI 360 has built the capacity of individuals, communities, and governments to address the needs of vulnerable populations. In more than 60 countries, our work is grounded in research and evidence, and our staff and experts have developed partnerships to support programs in economic development—including workforce development, private sector partnership and access to finance— civil society strengthening, technology and innovation, health access and services, and education. Our integrated approaches across a broad set of disciplines and countries helps develop customized responses to complex challenges addressing multiple aspects of people’s lives. We are currently seeking qualified Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist (hereafter, “GESI Specialist”) candidates for the anticipated USAID-funded Cultural Tourism Development in Egypt Activity.
The 4-year activity will be designed to enhance Egypt’s competitiveness as a tourism destination and generate more tourism revenue and local economic benefits. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding and will be based in Egypt.
The GESI Specialist will work closely with the Chief of Party and/or Deputy Chief of Party, the different technical leads, and the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team to ensure that principles of gender equality and social inclusion, specifically youth and disability inclusion, are integrated into all aspects of project design, development, planning, and implementation of activities under the anticipated USAID/Egypt Cultural Tourism Development Activity. S/he will provide programmatic and technical support to the project team, government counterparts, and other stakeholders on effective integration of GESI considerations. She/he will work closely with project staff to ensure integration of GESI elements in the M&E plan. The GESI Specialist will also provide necessary guidance related to GESI mainstreaming within the project’s internal operations and processes, including in recruitment and HR policies, in order to ensure a diverse team and an equitable work environment.
- Provides GESI technical leadership and guidance related to the project’s result areas to project leadership, result area technical leads, and the MEL team;
- Leads and/or collaborates with a headquarters-based GESI Specialist as well as the Research and Evaluation team to conduct a GESI analysis at the beginning of the project, leading to a project GESI strategy;
- As a result of the GESI analysis, oversees the integration of GESI activities and considerations into the project work plan and M&E plan and adjusts activities to be responsive to GESI issues identified during the GESI analysis;
- Provides technical guidance across the various components of the project to ensure GESI integration in project interventions and trainings;
- Tracks and reports against GESI-related indicators and disaggregates data by sex, age, and disability to analyze results within each domain;
- Conducts annual GESI assessments to measure progress and hone project activities;
- In collaboration with a headquarters-based GESI Specialist, mentors and trains project staff, partners, and stakeholders, including relevant government stakeholders, on GESI integration and mainstreaming issues, tools, policies, and practices as relate to project objectives;
- Prepares and delivers additional training content as required, including on leadership skills for female workers and entrepreneurs;
- Provides overarching GESI technical support to project stakeholders; including advising and supporting partners to integrate GESI considerations into their activities;
- Reviews and provides technical feedback on results and project reports to funders to ensure quality and full compliance with donor GESI policies and progress toward achieving GESI integration in the project;
- Develops tools, frameworks, and resources to enable better GESI integration in the project;
- Identifies successful practices in the project that can be showcased in publications, communication materials, and conferences;
- Prepares communications materials that highlight the project’s GESI programming, successes, and lessons learned; and
- Ensures coordination between the project and USAID/Egypt on issues related to gender equality, female empowerment, and youth and disability inclusion.
- Five (5) years of experience designing, managing, and implementing activities to promote gender equality and social inclusion, especially youth and disability inclusion. Experience with economic development projects preferred;
- Technical expertise in gender equality in economic development as well as youth and disability inclusion;
- Demonstrated ability to ensure GESI integration in project design, implementation, and M&E;
- Experience developing and delivering GESI-themed content in training materials preferred;
- Experience in GESI-focused assessments, training, and organizational capacity-building preferred;
- Ability to navigate culturally sensitive terrain and maintain constructive and collaborative relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and transmit her/his vision to partners and colleagues;
- Experience in the economic development sector in Egypt or the region;
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office);
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company;
- Prior USAID experience preferred;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in Arabic and proficiency in English required.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.