United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley (UWMB) and Local Initiatives Support Corporation are seeking a full-time AmeriCorps member to serve as a Community Engagement Manager. The candidate will ideally begin service on October 1, 2019, and serve a minimum of 1700 hours through the end of his/her/their term on July 31, 2020. The exact start and end date are confirmed by the Member Agreement of Participation. The individual selected to serve is not considered to be an employee of UWMB or LISC.
- The Community Engagement Manager will join UWMB’s Community Impact team to focus on South Boston generally and the Mary Ellen McCormack housing development in particular. A successful candidate will be ready to represent UWMB in developing relationships with community leaders and groups including nonprofits and public housing tenants in South Boston. Projects include:
- Surveying residents,
- Participating actively in community life in South Boston,
- Using input collected to design and execute community events, volunteer events and activities, community resource fairs, and other activities,
- Recruiting residents to participate in programming and activities.
This is an AmeriCorps position. LISC and UWMB will not allow the member to engage in activities that are considered prohibited under the terms of the grant while serving as a LISC AmeriCorps member. Members will be provided with goal(s) at the onset of the service assignment based on the activities and responsibilities noted above. Members will track goal attainment monthly through an on-line system (training provided). Members will also discuss professional performance in the form of a mid-term and final appraisal. Members are required to track time and submit on-line (training provided) timesheets twice per month.
Members will perform day to day service at UWMB and serve a minimum of 40-42 hours per week. Normal service hours are Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm with 30 minutes for lunch per day. There will be opportunities to serve evenings and weekends. Members will have an immediate supervisor and a local LISC supervisor throughout the term of service as identified by LISC and UWMB.
Members are expected to attend and participate in all LISC AmeriCorps sponsored activities including but not limited to:
- Attending a local onboarding session coordinated by LISC and an onsite orientation to our organization;
- Attending a national leadership conference in March 2020;
- Attending all locally sponsored monthly meetings;
- Participating in nationally sponsored webinars;
- Actively participating in at least two team coordinated service projects (one for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and one for National AmeriCorps Week); and,
- Engaging in any other LISC events as determined by the local LISC office.
- Computer skills
- Strong in listening, written and oral communication skills, and relationship-building
- Empathy, flexibility, and ability to contribute effectively as part of a professional team
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects effectively
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends will be required) and travel primarily in the Seaport and South Boston
- Bi-lingual capacity preferred
- Familiarity with the neighborhood preferred
Upon successful completion of the term of service, the member will be eligible for a $6,095 education award to pay off existing, eligible student loans or return to school. Members are eligible to place existing student loans (loans must qualify and not in a state of default) into AmeriCorps forbearance. The position pays a total stipend of $17,000. The stipend is taxable and paid in 20 equal checks twice a month from LISC. Direct deposit is required. A health care benefit is available for the participant only (dependents are not eligible). For members with children under the age of 13, there is a childcare subsidy benefit available which is dependent on the participant meeting all eligibility requirements (This benefit is administered by a contracted provider via the Corporation for National and Community Service).