This position requires strong, innovative collaborative leadership for UWL to be a relevant organization with a long-term impact on the community.
The President/CEO is responsible for carrying out the mission, vision and values of UWL. He or she is responsible for meeting the financial and strategic goals set by the Board of Directors, and for implementing required policies and procedures.
Fundraising and building donor relationships are key responsibilities. The scope of this position is broad, requiring the President / CEO to establish and maintain significant relationships with persons at all levels within the public, private and voluntary sectors.
This position requires accountability and transparency in all operational and financial areas of the organization. She or he will create and build awareness of the UWL’s role in the community and insure the engagement of its diverse constituencies in the organization.
The President/CEO will have direct supervisory responsibility for the staff of eight professionals.
- Inspire the community to support the vision, mission, and values of UWL.
- Protect and ensure the positive image of UWL.
- Provide multi-level strategic leadership and guidance to accomplish fundraising success, organizational strategies, community impact goals and resource development to help meet the health and human services needs of the community.
- Develop efficient and effective operational strategies and staff plan for achieving the goals of the organization.
- Convene community decision makers to advance community interests and UWL’s strategic goal to be the leader in community change.
- Develop and maintain communications with major donor groups.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with affiliated partners / agencies.
- Position UWL to advocate for community impact priorities.
- Mediate the resolution of sensitive human services issues.
- Understand and communicate state and national level public policy activities that affect human services in our community.
- Manages the recruitment and development of a Board of Directors representative of the entire community.
Policy Development / Planning:
- Work with the board to identify and initiate appropriate by-laws and policies that govern the organization.
- Assure the implementation of all by-laws and policies approved by the Board of Directors.
- Leads the process of staff and volunteer involvement in the development of strategic plans and annual business plans.
- Assist volunteers in assessing the United Way organization and it environment through analyzing and interpreting existing conditions, opportunities and barriers.
- Ensure development of uniform templates, project management and scorecard to report organizational progress on key performance indicators and outcomes for the organization.
Management and Administrative:
- Develop and implement staffing plan for the organization with fully competent diverse professionals and consistent with the strategic goals established by the Board of Directors.
- Develop and identify key performance indicators for all staff positions and ensures implementation.
- Promote continued professional development among staff that maintains the level of expertise necessary to achieve key performance indicators.
- Creates an atmosphere that fosters the development of strong, effective teams and empowers staff through involvement and participation in decision-making.
- Ensure that the organization maintains open and honest communication both internally and externally.
- Maintain stewardship, transparency and accountability for financial and capital resources (including management of property), official records, operating budgets, and campaign collection and disbursement.
- Develop effective, integrated and efficient support systems for the organization, in such areas as technology, staff and volunteer training, procurement, personnel and building management.
- Enhance public awareness, understanding and support of UWL through coordinated marketing, communications and public relations of programs.
- Serve as a community catalyst in addressing the changing or emerging service needs, delivery systems and population groups.
- Enhance the capabilities of collaborative partners / agencies to respond to local community needs and to manage their organizations effectively.
- Research, design and maintain operations around best practices.
- Able to spend substantial time standing, sitting, speaking and listening.
- Able to regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.)
- At least 10 years of successful work experience; recent service of at least five years in a senior level executive position with a proven track record with successfully managing staff and complex strategic goals; at least ten years of management experience, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-million-dollar budgets.
- Successful experience in developing multi-level fundraising strategies (annual campaign, grants, endowment planned-giving, special initiatives and events)
- Working knowledge IT and able to maintain state of the art technology for the organization.
- Understands how to collect, analyze, utilize data for planning in carrying out the strategies and goals.
- Understands technology in order to keep the organization current and relevant.
- Superior knowledge of working with complex financial planning, reporting and budgeting.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work with and inspire diverse groups.
- Proven ability to foster the development of a common vision among constituents and to build teams.
- Effective utilization of volunteer resources, with demonstrated skill in handling the apparent paradox of both leading and being led by volunteers.
- Proven management skills in strategic planning, fiscal management, human resources and operating systems.
- Superior presentation and communication skills.
- Experience in negotiation and collaboration, with skills in developing effective partnerships.
- Ability to be flexible, innovative, creative, team player and not adverse to change.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution and growth of the United Way of the Lowcountry. The organization is seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. Therefore, it is prepared to offer a very competitive compensation package, which includes base salary plus a comprehensive benefits package.