The American Heart Association (AHA) is deeply committed to turning the tide of health inequity and addressing the underlying root causes of ill health. We are guided by our 2030 strategic value proposition that cements the AHA’s commitment to equity when we state that we will be a catalyst to achieving maximum impact in equitable health. We will strive for every member of our community to achieve well-being, supported by the places they live, learn, work, play, pray, and heal.
The AHA has an excellent opportunity for a Consultant, Workplace Health to serve as our internal expert and consultant regarding the Workplace Health Portfolio. This role functions as a strategist, and resource to the communities and markets across the SouthWest, including strategic planning, individual coaching, providing training and technical assistance in detailed support in areas of Workplace Wellness expertise. This role will also serve as the SouthWest regional liaison with National Center to help drive our work in this area.
- Work with local markets (Senior Leaders, Development and Health Strategies teams) to directly recruit companies and have them register for WHS Index and Data. Work with companies already recruited and registered via webinars, emails, calls, follow up, etc. to get them to complete the Index and submit Data.
- Support Market Teams: the Consultant will manage, direct, and apply account management approach to develop and implement customized, strategic technical assistance plans necessary for assigned communities and markets. S/he will work in collaboration with cross-functional community-based teams that will be responsible for building strong volunteer relationships, building collective impact plans, and supporting heart healthy resources in the community.
- Coach Individual Staff towards Performance Excellence: the Consultant will work directly with assigned staff to coach and train them as part of onboarding to the AHA and/or into new positions within the AHA. S/he will create and maintain a professional work environment that fosters and values collaboration, trust teamwork, empowerment, professionalism and diversity.
- Provide Programmatic Technical Assistance: the Consultant will also support staff and market teams across the region in Fund Development, Collective Impact, Workplace Health Solutions, Gold Standard Board, Blood Pressure & Cholesterol, and other programmatic areas. In one or more of these areas, s/he will be a subject-matter expert and part of strategic planning, building training plans, tracking progress, and providing detailed consultation to staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Related experience may be substituted as follows: 1 ½ years’ experience equates to 1 full-time year of higher education.
- 7+ years’ experience working with community/public health issues and/or managing community/public health promotion or related educational programs, ability to interact across multiple acculturation levels and socio-economic groups.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills in assessing the local market environment and available resources to successfully implement new and existing programs.
- Proven ability to recruit, mobilize and manage volunteers, including C-suite level executives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large projects and events ensuring deadline compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to productively participate in a multi-disciplinary team environment working towards common goals with internal and external clients. Ability to influence team members without supervisory authority.
- Self-motivated, highly effective organization and analytical skills, multi-tasking, communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with multicultural communities preferred.
- Must have at least intermediate knowledge and skill with Microsoft Office 2010 or higher used for word processing, email, presentations, and spreadsheets. Advanced knowledge and skill with these programs is preferred. These skills are subject to testing.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% outside the market and to work evenings and weekends as needed.