The VP of Marketing and Brand Management provides leadership for the planning and direction of all aspects – brand management, media and public relations, communications, event management – of United Way of Summit County marketing strategy, systems, and processes in support of the organization’s overall strategic direction and community impact priorities. He/she serves as a key member of the Executive Leadership Team and counsel to the President/CEO and key volunteers.
45% Marketing Strategy Development and Brand Management:
- Develop and direct marketing strategy in alignment and integration with UWW brand guidelines, UWSC strategic plan and community impact priorities. Identify changes in the marketing and communications environment; evaluate and modify UWSC marketing strategy accordingly. Develop and implement a consistent system for measuring the success of UWSC marketing activities. Develop and support appropriate volunteer structure in support of UWSC marketing needs. Develop and implement an annual marketing and communications plan, provide quarterly reports of progress and an annual summary of outcomes achieved. Hire and supervise outside contractors in support of marketing and communications activities. Manage the brand to build relationships and awareness necessary to position UWSC as the leader in Community Impact and to achieve strategic growth in resource development. Work in partnership with all levels of staff to ensure consistent and appropriate messaging and marketing of all UWSC activities. Ensure the creative and efficient use of all UWSC resources to raise the visibility of UWSC, and to increase awareness and trust among all stakeholders. Develop and maintain UWSC website that exceeds industry standards for quality and effectiveness.
20% Media and Public Relations and Communications:
- Serve as primary spokesperson for UWS with the media. Proactively generate year-round earned media/public relations plan for UWSC, including preparation of written and visual communications designed to attract the attention of the media. Build relationships with all media related resources – key personnel and organizations – and leverage those relationships on behalf of UWSC. Develop and oversee all advertising opportunities for UWSC. Prepare and train key volunteers and staff who may have contact with the press as media spokespersons for UWSC. Communications: Counsel the President and key leaders regarding effective communications messages and channels to key stakeholder audiences. Prepare scripts, letters, etc. as needed. Collaborate with the resource development team to plan, design, and develop all materials/tools required for the annual campaign, direct mail solicitation, new business development, leadership and major gift development, and all fundraising events and activities. Collaborate with the community impact team to plan, design and develop all materials/tools required to communicate with key audiences about UWSC’s priority issues/initiatives/partnerships/impact. Lead product development processes to prepare community impact products for marketing to identified key donor audiences. Prepare position papers and other communications tools regarding priority community issues and solutions. Direct & coordinate the content and production of UWSC e-newsletters and social media. Champion internal database systems and quality to ensure proper “list” management for external communications.
15% Event Management:
- Partner with other team members to envision and create appropriate public events to promote the work and reputation of UWCS. Provide marketing leadership for UWSC special events, including creating scripts and content for programs, securing in-kind contributions and vendors, as well as sponsorships, and taking initiative to coordinate with others to ensure a positive brand experience for all attendees within establishes budget parameters. Collaborate with the CFO in the development and oversight of annual marketing budget. Provide leadership in the identification of cost efficiencies and maximum return on investments for all marketing related activities.
20% Digital/Web Based Marketing:
- Oversee the creation of strategy and tactics that move UWSC into the cutting edge of the digital space. An emphasis on 24-7-365 engagement of our corporate partners, investors, volunteers, and potential new business development through a robust digital platform that is always on. This platform could be our social media outlets, our website, or a future product that enhances our visibility, availability and experience in the marketplace.
- 7 years’ experience in a position of marketing leadership required.
- Demonstrated success with marketing, brand management, strategic innovation, and supervisory and interpersonal skills with the ability to discern and react appropriately to sensitive or urgent information.
- Requires advanced knowledge of social media applications/utilities/apps.
- Requires demonstrated knowledge of database programs for customer relationship management.
- Competent in MS Office products.
- Interest in the improvement of the Summit County community.
- Exhibits the ability to inspire in UWSC staff and volunteer leadership, donors and potential donors.
- Strategic thinker who is highly motivated and grounded with the highest ethical standards.
- Presentation and training skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a high-performing team.
- Organized, able to prioritize, strategically plans, and meets deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to excellence and passion for the mission of United Way of Summit County.
- Commitment to maintaining an awareness of best practices within the United Way Worldwide Network.
- Position is primarily a normal office setting, requiring long periods of sedentary work at a desk and computer.
- Ability to routinely travel throughout multi-floor office, walking, climbing stairs.
- Must be able to sit, stand, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop.
- Extensive reading.
- Minimal lifting up to 25 pounds occasionally.
- Must be willing to work non-standard work schedule including nights, weekends, and other unusual hours on occasion.
- After-hours event attendance occasionally.
- Some overnight travel may be required.
- Valid driver license and proof of insurance.
- Access to reliable insured automobile to be used for work-related travel in Summit County area.