Position: Curriculum Developer (Middle School & SEL)
Location: Flexible (100% remote)
Type: Consultant (Part-Time or Short-Term/Full-Time)
OVERVIEW OF NXU
The Short Version: At nXu, we believe that it's not enough to teach kids academic skills; We owe it to them to help them identify and pursue their purpose in the world. We work with K-12 educators to support their work in developing their students' sense of purpose. We also work directly with high school and college students to articulate their purpose and map the path they will take to live their lives with purpose.
The Long Version: nXu is a national non-profit organization whose mission is to catalyze and equip youth and adults to explore, articulate, and pursue their purpose by developing social and emotional learning skills. Overseen by nationally recognized educators including the co-founders of Transcend Education, we have developed a research & evidence-based purpose development methodology, curriculum, and program model that can be deployed in-person, online, and on a blended basis. We offer a training program as well as a purpose development curriculum to schools, and we also directly implement programming both online and in person with students both in school and out of school.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
We seek an exceptional Curriculum Developer to build on our existing high school purpose and social-emotional (SEL) development curriculum by developing a middle school version of our curriculum. The Curriculum Developer will leverage a middle school scope and sequence that nXu has recently created and will be responsible for creating middle school lessons that build off of the high school content. The ideal candidate has a sincere passion for curriculum development, thorough knowledge of social-emotional learning, middle school students, and an appreciation for purpose development. Moreover, this candidate possesses a deep understanding of how to create curricula that is resonant with middle school students, particularly those from historically marginalized communities, and that can be implemented by educators in a wide range of teaching contexts and modalities.
- Develop a compelling set of lessons leveraging nXu’s middle school scope and sequence.
- Create facilitator guides, student materials, and associated slide decks for each lesson using existing nXu curricular templates. (Here is an example of our lesson materials: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VZWNXQwP5ipqtPm6ZSuAqyvRJWka_EZU.)
- Seek input from nXu team members and, if appropriate, from key external constituents with expertise in middle school/SEL curriculum.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualifications:
- Previous middle school curriculum development experience, especially related to SEL curriculum, that has been implemented by a wide range of educators in multiple educational contexts.
- Thorough knowledge of social-emotional learning & curriculum and, ideally, connections to experts in this field.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Passion for curriculum development.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Experience seeking and integrating feedback from multiple constituents.
- Comfort working with a remote team, often independently.
- Concrete evidence of keen interest in, and exploration of, his or her self-development.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and an interest in working in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Belief in nXu’s mission and a passion for helping other people--especially teenagers--explore, articulate and pursue their purpose in life.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Interested applicants should apply at the website below.