Meridian Institute has an immediate opening for a full-time, Bookkeeper to work in a hybrid fashion near the Washington, DC or Dillon, CO offices, or fully remote. This position is ideal for driven candidates who want a high energy job with a purpose and want to support big change from behind the scenes.
Meridian brings people together, helping them navigate the dynamic variables that shape any collaborative search for solutions—from individual relationships to geopolitical considerations. Our work spans industries and sectors and includes projects focused on agriculture and food systems, climate change, forests, oceans and coasts, resilience, and science and technology, among others. Across these areas, we build and support partnerships that address our world’s complex challenges.
As a member of the Finance Team, the Bookkeeper is responsible for performing tasks related to accounting, banking, recordkeeping, and administrative support for the department. Successful candidates will be self-starters with professional experience in accounting and finance, the ability to learn and master new systems and tools, and an exceptional customer service approach.
For more information about this position and how to apply, please visit our website. The deadline to submit applications is Sunday, December 18, 2022.
The Bookkeeper is responsible for maintaining financial records for the organization and providing support in work areas related to accounting, banking, and administrative support for the finance department. In this role they process a high frequency of transactions and provide data entry within and across a variety of systems. The bookkeeper works closely with the Accountant and Payroll Manager to ensure compliance with legal requirements and organizational standards. Typical areas of responsibility include:
- Data entry and payable processing for both direct and indirect expenses, including subcontractors. Contacts vendors to address invoice questions.
- Audits expense reports to ensure records are accurate and complete. Supports staff in navigating complicated expense reimbursements and answers inquiries, as needed.
- Administers the credit card portal and reconciliation process. Tracks expenses and communicates with cardholders.
- Manages the vendor database and ensures compliance within recordkeeping guidelines for supporting documentation (W-9s, tax IDs, payment information).
- Processes, records, and monitors all incoming bank deposits and reconciles monthly.
- Processes monthly bank account reconciliations for all organizational accounts
- Recordkeeping and electronic filing system maintenance across the department, per filing protocols
- Minimum of one-year experience in accounting; or education in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration
- Meticulous organizational skills, a high level of initiative, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective working remotely and/or with remote staff over varying time zones
- Ability and enthusiasm to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- A high degree of proficiency with Microsoft 365 tools including but not limited to: Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams, and SharePoint. Expertise in Excel preferred.
- Full professional proficiency or higher in English; professional fluency in a foreign language is also highly valued
- Legally able to work in the United States without visa support/sponsorship
The starting pay range for this position is $17.93 – $20.62 per hour ($37,300 – $42,895 per year), based on the level of education and relevant experience. This is an hourly, non-exempt position eligible for overtime. In following our commitment to principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion, maintaining pay equity when hiring is extremely important to us. For this reason, salary offers with Meridian are non-negotiable.
Meridian is dedicated to advancing our employees’ professional growth, supporting employee wellbeing, and helping them meet their healthcare and retirement needs. Meridian employees receive competitive benefits including:
- A dynamic and inclusive work environment
- Flexible work schedules and locations for proven high performers
- Structured professional development opportunities
- Medical, dental, and a variety of voluntary insurance coverages for employees, partners, and families
- Generous vacation and sick leave, plus 12 holidays (fixed and floating)
- Employee Assistance Program
- DC Office Employees Only – Metro expense reimbursement for commute into work
- Remote Workers Only – home office internet allowance
The deadline to apply is December 18, 2022.
Please submit the following application materials using our online submission form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZQ583RG
- Cover Letter – 1 page
Drawing from your personal and professional experiences, please explain how you hope to contribute to Meridian in this role.
- Resume – 1-2 pages
Detail relevant education, training, experiences, and accomplishments.
We thank all applicants for their interest and will be in contact with those chosen for an interview.
Meridian Institute is a mission-driven, nonprofit consultancy that has helped clients and partners develop and implement solutions to complicated, often controversial problems—big and small, global and local—for over two decades.
Effective collaborative decision-making involves bringing together participants with diverse backgrounds and differing viewpoints. As an organization, we seek staff that reflects and values that same diversity; successful Meridian team members are experienced working in multicultural settings and welcome new opportunities to widen their own perspectives. We bring integrity, inclusiveness, and respect for differences to every project we undertake. We are working to ensure that Meridian possesses the expertise needed to partner with—and build trust among—marginalized and disenfranchised communities, while advancing justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) within our organization and our work.
Meridian Institute complies fully with the relevant Disability Acts and Laws in local countries. If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Meridian Institute, please contact Human Resources at [email protected].
At this time, Meridian Institute requires that all employees be fully vaccinated, including booster shots. In circumstances where an applicant communicates that he or she is not able to be vaccinated for COVID-19 because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance or because of a disability, then Meridian, in accordance with applicable law, will engage in the interactive process to determine if a reasonable accommodation is feasible that will not pose an undue hardship or create a direct threat to safety.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Meridian’s work is made stronger and more impactful by the contributions of diverse groups from around the world. At Meridian, we welcome people from all backgrounds and do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, national origin, creed, class, ancestry, or other grounds.
Meridian Institute is a participating employer in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security program, E-Verify.