The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Founded in 1949, the Institute drives change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most important challenges facing the United States and the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
The Aspen Institute Financial Security Program's (FSP) mission is to illuminate and solve the most critical financial challenges facing American households and to make financial security for all a top national priority. We aim for nothing less than a more inclusive economy with reduced wealth inequality and shared prosperity. We believe that transformational change requires innovation, trust, leadership, and entrepreneurial thinking. FSP galvanizes a diverse set of leaders across the public, private, and nonprofit sectors to solve the most critical financial challenges. We do this through deep, deliberate private and public dialogues and by elevating evidence-based research and solutions that will strengthen the financial health and security of financially vulnerable Americans.
The Aspen Institute Financial Security Program is committed to having a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels of the program team. We recognize the importance of not viewing individuals based on a single identity, and we thrive on being equitable in our recruitment process as well as in our efforts to be inclusive of all employees. We encourage all applicants regardless of gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or other social identity. While not a minimum or mandatory qualification, we strongly encourage candidates of color, those who identify as Native American, people of low-income backgrounds, and those with first-hand experience of financial security inequity to apply for this role.
The Senior Policy Associate will be part of the Policy and Market Solutions Team at the Aspen Financial Security Program, reporting to the Associate Director of Policy. The Policy and Market Solutions Team works across sectors and disciplines, seeking to highlight market and policy gaps, source promising policy and market ideas that can help improve financial security, jumpstart creative solutions, and build a diverse set of leaders who can turn ideas into action. The Policy and Market Solutions team works closely with Aspen FSP's Insights and Evidence team, which develops and elevates data-driven insights that describe American's financial security challenges.
Specifically, the Senior Policy Associate will initially support a portfolio focused on building inclusive financial systems which includes looking at systemic and last mile solutions that will engage technology companies, financial service firms, policymakers, government regulators, and consumer advocates.
The successful candidate for this role will be able to balance big-picture, strategic thinking with a focus on important details. They will thrive when given an ambitious set of goals and high-level work plan and will be able to creatively design and execute a detailed and further refined workplan that achieves the original goals. They can be successful in an entrepreneurial environment and will be able to adjust strategy and tactics as circumstances change. The candidate will be an excellent communicator and will successfully build and manage relationships with senior-level leaders in the field of financial services, financial inclusion, financial health – both domestic and international institutions. They will find joy in relationship building and relationship management.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Associate Director of Policy Aspen FSP leadership, and the rest of the Policy and Market Solutions team to shape, develop and execute our strategy to build more inclusive financial systems.
- Serve as a go-to resource within Aspen FSP for relevant policy developments, opportunities, and decision points
- Develop, own, and execute the work plans for our Building Inclusive Financial Systems workstream, managing well to timelines and making key adjustments as necessary.
- Work with a matrixed event project team for the convenings and roundtables.
- Communicate well and frequently with and collaborate closely with staff across the Aspen FSP team.
Building, Stewarding, and Maintaining Stakeholder Networks
- Strategically develop and selectively nurture a network of relationships with policy entrepreneurs, policymakers, technology companies, financial service firms, and others that influence and participate in the policy-making process who are positioned to lead on issues of financial security.
- Surface and participate in the development and stewardship of grant opportunities
- Track and analyze relevant legislation, policy opportunities, and policy ideas related to portfolio.
- Draft and serve as lead author of written deliverables related to portfolio – including policy briefs, PowerPoint decks, blogs, and other issue content.
- Commitment to the Aspen FSP's mission and interest in how to achieve the mission through the intersection of financial and digital innovation, policymaking, and market action-taking.
- 3-5 years of experience working in financial services, financial technology, financial inclusion, or financial health policy or related policy issue areas.
- Strong relationship building and management skills.
- Familiarity with federal and / or state legislative processes.
- Superior organizational, project and time management skills with strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Strong writing skills, with ability to evaluate and incorporate significant volume of input
- Strong communication and presentation
- Ability to commit to up to 10% domestic travel, with occasional evening meetings (12/month)
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet the regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/KMogpBh8R8ObupxOILRMg