The Technical Advisor III is a senior member of the Global Education Department, providing technical expertise on improving access and quality of education, with specific emphasis on teacher policies and professional development systems for pre-service and in-service. The quality of teaching affects student learning outcomes. All our projects from pre-primary to higher education work to ensure teachers, instructors and faculty receive preparation, coaching and mentoring to teach effectively. This is particularly relevant for crisis and conflict settings where FHI 360 is leading efforts on teacher well-being.
The Technical Advisor III will support work in three areas: technical leadership, program/project support and oversight, and business development. The Technical Advisor III will provide thought leadership and technical expertise around the issues, challenges, and strategies for preparing and supporting teachers. Working closely with project and HQ teams with expertise in all areas of education, civil society and peacebuilding, youth development, workforce development, and other development disciplines, s/he will support development of crosscutting solutions. S/he also will provide direct oversight to and/or serve as a technical lead for field-based projects as assigned to ensure effective project implementation that meets or exceeds client expectations. The Technical Advisor III will be expected to play a significant role in business development, including opportunity identification, capture, proposal development technical leadership, strategic partnering, and budgeting with a primary focus on teacher polices. The individual in this position will be based in FHI 360’s Washington, D.C. and will report to the Director of Global Education.
- Provides technical leadership on FHI 360’s work in addressing education challenges related with teacher policies and professional development, consulting with other members of FHI 360’s education team, as well as the Regional Offices, and other teams, including Crisis Response, youth, civil society and peacebuilding, and workforce development.
- Serves as the lead specialist for designing and implementing strategies, tools, and
approaches for teacher pre-service and in-service systems.
- On assigned projects, provides technical direction and serves as HQ partner for the COP and for the technical local teams on strategy, technical approach, budgeting and planning.
- As a technical representative of Global Education, communicates broadly in the
education community with clients, partners, and other experts about projects and
business development opportunities, particularly those focused teacher policies.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant
government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs and consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in the education community.
- Collaborates with the Global Education Director to identify, track, and develop opportunities for education projects.
- Leads the development of major proposals, including project design and contributing substantially to writing as needed.
- Works with the Global Education leadership team to develop a robust portfolio in
innovative education programs.
- Oversees the technical input of department staff, consultants and subcontractors on
- Reviews and prepares budgeting reviews with staff, including planning and providing coverage for projects, and reporting back to the Global Education Director.
- Collaborates with the Global Education Director and the Director of Research and
Evaluation to identify and implement critical research to develop a solid evidence base for effective teacher policies and professional development strategies and solutions.
- Provide technical leadership in a specific technical component and/or program wide activities.
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity
- building of specific technical components of programs.
- Participate in resource development activities.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of the department and division.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within area and function guidelines.
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures.
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound.
- May serve as a departmental resource on procedural, administrative and operational issues.
- Provides broad global technical leadership to multiple components for moderate to complex programs.
- Defines and develops solutions for major business or functional challenges.
- Contributes to planning and making recommendations for department/program/project concept, operations, and/or implementation.
- Influences design and scope of initiatives and programs.
- Reviews, analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of programs/projects and makes recommendations for enhancements.
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Represents the organization and/or Institute to external entities at professional meetings and conferences.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs and consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in their technical area.
- Continually maintains a dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Coordinates with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field for situations that is less routine and more unusual.
- Note: Advancement to TAIII is appointed by Senior Management.
- Strategic focus for all programs independent of degree of complexity.
- Leads a large complex division of the organization and is accountable for developing the division’s strategic and operational plans, goals, and policies.
- Contributes to and executes parts of the strategic and operational plans of the organization.
- Leads through subordinate directors and managers and other direct reports, all of whom are management.
- Responsible for financial matters within the division.
- Typically serves as a member of the senior management team.
- Considered a technical expert in their field by internal and external entities.
- Communicates organization-wide strategies and priorities to functional leaders who will develop strategic and operational plans and policies for their own areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Often advises and creates plans based on analysis of issues and trends, and how these link to the responsibilities, capabilities, and potential of the technical area.
- Scans an ever-changing, complex environment in anticipation of emerging crises and opportunities.
- Erroneous decisions will affect the financial, employee or public relations posture of the organization.
- Faulty decisions or recommendation will result in failure to achieve major goals and objectives of the organization.
- Problems encountered often involve multiple departments, projects, or programs.
- Problems are often complex, broad in scope and implications, and often unprecedented with no clear resolution.
- Resolution requires in-depth analysis, cross-functional assessment and understanding of the organization’s strategic direction, and must consider the complex interdependencies related to the problem.
- Directs and controls the activities of one or more technical functional areas within multiple countries.
- Completed work is reviewed, from a relatively long-term perspective, for desired results.
- Contributes to development of organization’s strategic plan.
- Develops well-informed advice and strategies that are sensitive to the various needs of multiple stakeholders and partners, reflect the strategic direction of the department and position the company for success.
- Overall responsibility for the planning and implementation of budgets within those functional areas.
- Assists senior management in determining organization objectives, and interprets organization policies.
- Establishes organization policies in a major segment of the technical area.
- Interprets, executes, and recommends modifications to organization-wide policies.
- Demonstrates realistic budgeting and fiscal accountability.
- Represents the organizational unit as internal and external contact.
- Conducts briefings and technical meetings for top management and customer representatives.
- Interacts with equivalent level managers concerning matters of significance to the company.
- In-depth understanding of the external environment and how it affects the industry in general and organization in particular, including political, legal, environmental, financial and social influences.
- In-depth and deep understanding of the structure, operations, human resources and finances of the organization and the complexities of their interdependencies.
- Typically requires 15+ years of experience in a specialized technical/medical field of study.
- Considered an expert in their technical field of study or knowledge area.
- Informed of current program developments in division/unit/technical area.
- Oversee and leads projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Familiar with donor/client funded programs and corresponding regulations and communication styles.
- Written and published materials related to technical area e.g., journal articles, job aids, training curricula, and other tools.
- Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.