FHI 360 designs and implements academic, professional, cultural, and youth exchange programs for students and emerging leaders around the world. The American English (AE) E-Teacher program offers professional development opportunities to foreign English teaching and other professionals through high-quality virtual exchange components, including online university level courses, Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), live online events, Open Educational Resources (OER), and a Community of Practice (CoP). This project is funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs (ECA/A/L). We are seeking a Senior Program Officer to provide technical assistance and support centered around the program’s technical platforms. This position is contingent upon FHI 360 receiving funding under the FY 19 American English E-Teacher Program.
The Senior Program Officer reports to the Project Director and coordinates the activities of the Program team. In collaboration with the Project Director, the Program and Technical teams, and ECA/A/L, the Senior Program Officer ensures that the selection, design, development and updating of technical platforms and products meets the needs of program stakeholders, and that updates and changes to platforms and products are communicated and supported across the program. The Senior Program Officer designs, implements and coordinates specific program activities including the nomination and registration cycle for the program’s online courses, as well as participant support activities.
- Supervises Program Assistants, providing training on systems and policies, including the program’s technical platforms which consist of a participant tracking portal, learning management system (Canvas) for course development and delivery, and websites and an associated CoP.
- Designs, implements, and coordinates procedures for managing technical and participant support requests, including monitoring of program mailboxes and response protocols.
- Audits mailbox communications for quality control, and provides backup support for inbox monitoring, as needed.
- Coordinates updates to website(s).
- Collaborates with the teams and ECA/A/L to develop work plans and engagement strategies for the CoP, as well as coordinating content updates.
- Collaborates with Project Director, project teams, and ECA/A/L to identify new functionalities or updates to existing functionalities of technical platforms.
- Evaluates the feasibility of functional changes and coordinates with technical vendor to submit feature change requests and creates work plans and timelines incorporating testing windows.
- Creates and/or updates user guides.
- Provides training for administrative and end users.
- Monitors budgets for platform and website and CoP development.
- Liaises with internal units such as finance, contracts, etc. to coordinate procurement of technical products and services including but not limited to websites.
- Oversees the program’s Canvas LMS, setting terms, creating courses, designing custom roles, and working with the Program and Technical teams to enroll participants.
- Collaborates with the Project Director and ECA/A/L to develop academic year calendars incorporating nomination, registration, orientation, and course dates for four terms per year.
- Coordinates with the program’s technical vendor to ensure the portal is opened and closed according to the calendar.
- Sets top-level allocations for nominations.
- Serves as the lead for troubleshooting nomination and registration issues.
- Responds to inquiries from ECA/A/L related to program participation.
- Designs systems and methodologies for tracking participation across the program’s offerings in order to respond to requests for information and identify new ways to incorporate tracking into existing platforms.
- Working with the project teams and in collaboration with ECA/A/L, supports the implementation of social media initiatives, as requested.
- 8 plus years of experience with program management, cross-cultural communications, US Government rules and regulations.
- Familiarity with online data privacy protection standards.
- Familiarity with systems design, user experience design, and/or website/app design and development.
- Experience using/administering an LMS, preferably Canvas.
- Experience leading and mentoring staff, including delegating, identifying stretch opportunities, and providing constructive feedback.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong computer skills including use of databases, survey software, word processing software, Microsoft Excel, SharePoint, and Google (docs, sheets, forms, etc.).
- Demonstrated attention to detail in the management of information and data.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, take initiative, meet deadlines, solve problems and adapt to changing priorities.
- Working knowledge of systems for financial transaction processing and reporting, such as Deltek Costpoint and IBM CER.
- Familiarity with social media platforms, including those commonly used overseas.
- Experience working overseas as an English Language Fellow or Peace Corps Volunteer, or other study/work abroad experience.
- Professional experience in the field of TESOL.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.