FHI 360 is seeking to fill the position of Scientist I within the Research and Evaluation Department of G3E Business Unit.
The incumbent will serve within the R&E Department as Technical Monitor for the research and evaluation activities taking place across G3E project portfolio. In particular, serves as Technical Monitor for research and evaluation activities in the areas of youth development, workforce transition, and economic inclusion. In this role, initiates, directs, and executes scientific research and/or development strategies in research studies and scientific projects or the provision of research-support services. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles, methods, and concepts to studies, problems, and projects. Plans and executes training/training materials for research studies and internal and external researchers. Provides direction and capacity building within project and research teams, as appropriate. Makes major contributions to scientific literature and conferences. Acts as spokesperson on corporate research studies and scientific projects and advises G3E and executive management. Interfaces with various departments and serves as an internal consultant.
Provides technical direction and oversight for research and evaluation activities, acting as Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator. Within the scope of that role, is responsible for developing the research design, analytical strategies and methodologies, in collaboration with relevant technical teams. Engages other technical and analytical staff in design and analysis, and identifies needs for external expertise. Responsible for the development of instruments, and data analysis plans, in collaboration and coordination with M&E Backstop and Analysts, as well as relevant G3E technical experts. Ensures consistency and completeness of technical documentation. Provides oversight over the development of technical sections of reports. Ultimately responsible for the quality and rigor of research & evaluation. Ensures IRB compliance.
- Develops scientifically appropriate approaches to answering a variety of research questions and works with staff in other divisions and in the field to identify and prepare research sites. - Provides scientific support with implementing, conducting, and managing research studies and proposals.
- Designs the analytical strategy for research and evaluation activities in his/her purview.
- Drafts, edits, reviews and presents protocols, papers and analysis of research findings and reports for publication and training materials.
- Provides in-house review of protocols, papers, research strategies and proposals for funding projects for methodological and technological soundness.
- Collaborates with R&E staff, G3E project teams, technical teams, other researchers across the organization on various research materials, statistical results, and medical/clinical agendas.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, methods and practices used in the design and execution of scientific projects and research studies;
- Excellent quantitative/qualitative methods skills and analytical skills;
- Understanding of quantitative and qualitative sampling approaches, principles, and methods;
- Understanding of the international development arena, is major actors and key issues pertaining to Youth, Workforce Transition, and Economic Inclusion;
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff, as well as clearly communicate technical and research strategies, results, and implications to non-technical audiences
- Advanced proficiency in Stata, other analytical software a plus;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Languages: English required, French, Arabic and/or Spanish are strongly desirable;
- Scientific creativity, demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with others and independent thought are a must.
- 5-8 years of experience with scientific disciplines developing strategies in research studies and integrating research into technical projects;
- Experience working with diverse teams and integrating research-to-practice and collaborating, learning, adapting approaches (CLA) to program implementation;
- Experience conceptualizing and managing field research in challenging contexts from start to finish;
- Evidence of publications or strong writing record in non-academic outlets;
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) or in work-related academic, governmental, or industry setting, experience working internationally highly desirable.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.