FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Reseach and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.
FHI 360 is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Qualitative Research Intern in Washington, DC. This position will be for 3-6 months supporting a variety of research projects within our program areas. Ideal start date in December 2019.
The Qualitative Research Intern will be a part of the Research and Evaluation Department, housed in Global Education, Employment, and Engagement (G3E) Business Unit. This Intern role will provide an opportunity for Master's or PhD students to develop knowledge and skills across their areas of interest in research while gaining insight into business operations at FHI 360. In addition, the Intern will have the ability to apply academic concepts and prior research experience to the organization's current research activities. The tasks will be the following, but not limited to:
- Qualitative coding and analysis
- Data cleaning and organizing
- Collecting date from secondary sources
- Supporting survey and in-depth interview instrument creation
- Contributing to research studies and assisting with writing research manuscripts.
Students with an interest in International Education and Development are encouraged to apply. The skills and experience desired for a successful Intern are as follows:
- Working knowledge of the field of international education and qualitative research methods
- Excel and STATA proficiency experience in cleaning data and merging multiple datasets is desirable
- Familiarity with international education data sources and indicators desirable
- Familiarity with qualitative analysis software: Dedoose, NVivo, etc.
- Coursework or training with qualitative research methods (in-depth interviews, focus groups, etc.)
- Transcribing interviews and analysis of qualitative data
- Coding qualitative data
- Proficiency with Excel writing macros, and other complex operations
- Excellent communication skills required
- Language skills in French or Arabic are a plus.