FHI 360 is seeking an entrepreneurial, engaging and strategic leader to serve as the Managing Director of FHI Solutions, a subsidiary established to support initiatives that promote healthy growth and development through nutrition interventions. FHI Solutions supports the development, testing and dissemination of innovations, tools and lessons, with the goal of ensuring that all women and children have the nutrition they need to live healthy and productive lives.
Reporting directly to the CEO and working in close collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer and other members of the Executive Leadership team, the Managing Director will be responsible for overall leadership and management of the non-profit FHI Solutions. The successful candidate will be a proven strategic leader and manager with a track record of success with European and US donors, foundations, and private sector entities and a passion and/or experience in the field of nutrition and/or maternal and child health.
- Serves as the Managing Director for FHI Solutions, liaison to FHI 360 and other FHI 360 subsidiaries
- Represents FHI Solutions in donor, philanthropic and development communities
- Leads the development of a 5-10 year nutrition strategy for FHI Solutions, working in close coordination with FHI Solutions project directors and technical staff and ensuring cohesion with the FHI360 nutrition strategy
- Pursues business development opportunities for FHI Solutions, with a focus on key donors (e.g. Foundations, Private sector entities and European donors)
- Identifies appropriate strategies for responding to new business development opportunities, with consideration to technical needs and staff availability
- Leads the development of appropriate policies and systems to facilitate successful growth and expansion, for example, by providing systems to support FHI Solutions projects to engage in fee for service, or partnership contracts of varying size and scope
- Problem solves operational and systems issues, including financial to ensure smooth FHI Solutions project delivery
- Serves as the administrative authority to sign new contracts, grants, and awards for FHI Solutions
- Reviews current operational organization, systems and work flow related to contracting, finance, accounting, human resources, and business services
- Identifies areas where organizational systems can be improved to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of operational procedures for FHI Solutions
- Leads the development and re-design of operational systems and work flow procedures and policies for FHI Solutions, as needed, with special attention to the design of systems that accommodate effective work-flows across Solutions and as they need to relate/engage with FHI 360
- Provides input into operational policies at the organizational level; Adapt operational standards, as appropriate given unique donor base and specific donor requirements for FHI Solutions
- Allocates and manages operational funds, non-restrictive funds for business development, and managing and monitoring spending of indirect cost pool with respect to attention to cost recovery rate
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to successfully navigate a fast-paced matrix environment
- Organizational and political agility with highly developed negotiation and interpersonal skills
- An innovative leader of strategy, programs and enterprises.
- Highly-developed written communications skills
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on the long-term strategic success of the company with management and division operations.
- Problems encountered are complex and highly varied, and non-recurring requiring creative approaches to resolve them.
- Exercises own judgment to set goals and determine strategies to achieve results that align with organizational goals.
- Sets goals and budgets in achieving the organization's strategic direction.
- Leads coordination with functional areas to address and resolve strategic issues
- Supervises FHI Solutions Project Directors
- Senior professional with high-level management and operational experience including experience in international nutrition
- Passion for nutrition and can articulate a vision for FHI Solutions to be the “go to” nutrition technical supplier
- Experienced with delivery of quality technical assistance and program implementation
- Successful track record with European and US donors and foundations, and private sector entities
- Experience overseeing a diverse set of business operations units (e.g. contracting, finance, accounting, human resources, country registrations) in a complex organization with an international footprint
- Experience leading and supervising teams in complex settings, including remote workers
- Experience working at both non-profit organizations and in the private sector is a plus
- Excellent leadership, consultation, negotiation, communication, and team building skills
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, and strategic thinker
- Based in Washington, DC
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 - 50 lbs.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.