Be a part of a dynamic team whose work enriches the health of communities by strengthening city and county health departments. At the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), we are united by our work to improve our country's 3,000 U.S. local health departments. We represent the voice of local public health while striving to live out our core values of equity, excellence, participation, respect, integrity, leadership, science and innovation. We provide our employees with meaningful work, opportunities to learn and grow, a strong work/life balance, and a flexible, hybrid work schedule while being a part of a collaborative team.
We are interested in growing our team with passionate, committed, and innovative individuals. The Director of Government Affairs will join NACCHO at a time of dynamic growth. This position is important in the Government Affairs Department.
The Director, Government Affairs is responsible for organizing and managing significant functions of the NACCHO Government Affairs team, including the supervision of professional and/or support staff.
This is a highly responsible position working under the direction of the Chief, Government and Public Affairs, with an overall goal of achieving results in advancing NACCHO's legislative and policy priorities. The position requires a skill set for both informing the team's strategy as well as overseeing the day-to-day operations of the team (including budget development and oversight), engaging with Congress and federal policy makers, and working in coalition with other stakeholder organizations to advance shared goals.
The Director has advanced knowledge and experience in the area of Government Affairs, with a proven track record of building relationships with policy makers and getting results. The Director has a critical role in achieving NACCHO's strategic objective of serving as the voice for local health departments. The position requires frequent collaboration with fellow NACCHO staff, Congressional staff, federal and other governmental officials, partner organizations, local public health agencies and, as requested by NACCHO's Executive Director and/or Chief, Government and Public Affairs, with members of the NACCHO Board of Directors.
This role requires sound judgment, attention to detail, an ability to prioritize, political acumen, strong writing skills, and the ability to find creative solutions to complex policy problems.
The Director is considered a career level professional who works with minimal supervision. The Director directs, manages the activities of, and mentors other staff and intern(s).
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
The Director of Government Affairs provides leadership in engaging, serving, and advancing the interests of local health departments through strategic advocacy, partnerships, and engagement of NACCHO membership.
- Increases awareness and knowledge about the functions of local health departments among policy makers, partners, and the public, and by identifying and acting on opportunities to advance local health department practice and maximize federal funding.
- Serves as a representative of NACCHO before Members of Congress and their staff, Administration Officials, and public health stakeholders.
- Plans and executes annual Capitol Hill outreach event to connect key NACCHO members to elected officials; identifies, plans, and executes additional opportunities for NACCHO members to connect with Members of Congress and staff.
- Negotiates on behalf of NACCHO with public health stakeholders to advance NACCHO's government affairs priorities.
- Applies NACCHO policies and political judgment to determine or recommend NACCHO positions on legislation; develops NACCHO responses to proposed federal regulations, guidance, and other policy in collaboration with staff, members, and/or partners as appropriate.
- Collaborates with other NACCHO staff in development of legislative, grassroots, and media and other strategic messages and strategies.
- Oversees organization-wide, member-driven system for development, review, updating and use of NACCHO's policy statements and policy priorities.
- Writes and edits numerous government affairs related documents including legislative alerts, legislative updates, action alerts, fact sheets, newsletter articles, background papers, and Congressional testimony related to the priorities of the organization.
- Develops and oversees NACCHO's public policy and advocacy web content and social media platforms.
- Directs, supervises, and motivates Government Affairs team members and interns to achieve both personal and professional goals.
- Develops and implements NACCHO's grassroots advocacy strategy with a focus to increase participation among NACCHO members.
- Provides professional development to local health departments through trainings, production of resource materials and other information.
- Presents on legislative/policy topics and NACCHO's priorities at public meetings and conferences.
- Performs other duties, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant professional field with a minimum of 8-10 years relevant work experience; or a Master's degree in relevant professional field with a minimum of 7-8 years relevant work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, including a relevant certification.
- Experience working in or closely with Congressional Offices.
- Demonstrated success and use of mature political judgment in developing and implementing strategies to achieve objectives in public policy in the areas of public health or other health policy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to clearly articulate complex ideas and arguments in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Strategic thinker with an open and collaborative style of leadership that fosters teamwork and sustains a learning environment for staff.
- Experience working with senior level staff in an association or other environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain credibility and constructive working relationships with a wide variety of strategic partners.
- Strong knowledge of effective coaching and constructive feedback practices to enhance the job performance of staff and others.
- General knowledge of national non-profit association practice and strong understanding of public health policy preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb stairs.
- Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds).
- The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate.
Salary Range: $109,956 - $116,828
Mandatory Vaccination Policy: As a Public Health organization, NACCHO follows CDC guidelines and advisories relating to the health of all. NACCHO has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy applicable to all NACCHO employees to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19.
The selected candidate must reside in the Washington, DC – Maryland – Virginia (DMV) area within 30 calendar days of their start date.
We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: PN – 68 Director of Government Affairs.
NACCHO offers generous benefits package such as:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD insurances
- 15 days of paid vacation & 13 days of sick leave and other types of leave
- 403(b) Retirement plan,
- Hybrid Remote Work Available
- NACCHO is a qualified employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We respect and value work force diversity among all employees and all those with whom we do business.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/mXPgPWT5X2Ko4IKrNcR7gJ