The Accounting Director is based in FHI Solutions Washington, DC headquarters reporting to the Managing Director, FHI Solutions. The position is responsible for the provision of expertise to FHI Solutions, to manage and maintain effective accounting operations and financial systems for the projects within FHI Solutions, to supervise the Finance team, to liaise with FHI 360 Corporate Finance Departments and other related tasks as necessary under the direction of Managing Director.
FHI 360 has a long history implementing nutrition projects and providing nutrition technical assistance. FHI Solutions LLC is a nonprofit organization established by FHI 360 primarily to support foundation-funded programs that promote healthy growth and development through nutrition interventions. FHI Solutions supports the development, testing and dissemination of innovations, tools and lessons, with the goal of ensuring that all women and children have the nutrition they need to live healthy and productive lives. The current portfolio focuses on Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Madagascar, Nigeria, Senegal and Vietnam.
Management and Oversight of the Accounting functions of FHI Solutions:
- Manages and oversees timely and accurate processing and recording of all financial transactions in FHI Solutions ledgers and sub-ledgers, including general ledger, project ledger, banking, revenue and billing, cash receipting, accounts payable, purchasing, and fixed assets.
- Reviews and approves reconciliation of FHI Solutions balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
- Ensures all inter-company accounts (assets, liabilities, revenue, expense) are reconciled and are in balance between related entities on a monthly basis.
- Oversees performance of month-end close processes.
- Responsible for preparation and submission of FHI Solutions monthly financial management reports to FHI 360 parent company.
- Ensures the preparation and submission of any required financial reports to support FHI Solutions Managing Director.
- Responsible for overseeing the annual external audit for FHI Solutions.
- Responsible for managing the financial year-end close procedures for FHI Solutions, including preparation of annual audited financial statements.
- Responsible for ensuring and maintaining correct accounting system setup of FHI Solutions, including chart of accounts, project structure, all pools & base structures for indirect cost allocations, sub-ledger setups and associated control accounts, etc.
- Monitors and ensures adequate internal control systems exist re all FHI Solutions financial transactions.
- Responsible for ensuring documented accounting policies & procedures exist and are maintained.
- Assists FHI Solutions management with preparation of annual budgets.
- Ensures FHI Solutions have adequately documented financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure all financial transactions recorded in FHI Solutions ledgers comply with US GAAP and with internal financial policies and procedures.
- Independently applies accounting principles and practices to a variety of accounting, budgeting, forecasting, cost accounting and other fiscal functions.
- Performs ad hoc financial analysis, investigation as may be required from time to time.
- Provides supervision, training and mentoring to FHI Solutions accounting staff as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Managing Director, FHI Solutions.
Management of FHI Solutions Financial Systems:
- Manages special projects within the department. In collaboration with stakeholders defines project scope, timeline, resource needs, deliverables and communication/training plan.
- Participates in the design and implementation of new financial system-related processes or process improvements/reforms.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts in the creation of learning objects which might take many forms: coaching, mentoring, on the job training, presentations, participant guides, workflows, check lists, online objects, etc.
- Identify interdependencies across the applications and business processes to be able to propose an integrated solution.
- Propose system designs that meet the business needs of FHI Solutions.
- Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) qualification required.
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting experience required, including 5 years in management and 5 years working at the corporate or organization level.
- Substantial experience using computerized accounting systems required.
- Experience using small, mid, and large scale accounting systems desired. Experience with QuickBooks and MS Navision highly regarded. Experience using Deltek CostPoint an advantage.
- Experience designing and/or implementing accounting systems an advantage.
- Strong understanding of US GAAP required.
- Strong working knowledge of intercompany accounting, elimination entries, and consolidations required.
- Strong Excel skills required.
- Must be highly detail oriented and organized in work.
- Must be able to meet assigned deadlines.
- Must be pro-active and a self-starter, and able to act and operate independently to accomplish objectives.
- Previous experience managing a small team desirable.
- Previous experience working for an audit firm, or managing a company audit desirable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in team setting.
- Able to travel on an occasional basis.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.