The Communications Specialist II will support various communication and marketing activities within the Social Marketing and Communication Department, working primarily on SMC’s Diabetes Education and Marketing Support (DEMS) and National Diabetes Prevention Program (National DPP) contracts with CDC’s Division of Diabetes Translation (DDT). The primary goals for DEMS are to increase referrals and enrollment to diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES) services, to increase the impact of interventions to prevent type 2 diabetes, and to decrease health inequity in the incidence of type 2 diabetes and diabetes complications. For more information, visit www.cdc.gov/diabetes/ndep. The National DPP is a partnership of public and private organizations working to reduce the growing problem of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has invested heavily in recruiting individuals who are at risk for type 2 diabetes to participate in CDC-recognized lifestyle change programs. Through these recruitment efforts, CDC is building awareness, creating positive attitudes towards lifestyle change programs, and motivating at-risk individuals to participate in programs that have been proven to help prevent type 2 diabetes. For more information, visit www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention.
This position will provide a key role in developing informational and promotional materials, including fact sheets, brochures posters, infographics, website content, marketing plans, e-newsletters, testimonials, and/or webinars for various audiences for both the DEMS and National DPP projects. Additionally, this position will support the development of a new brand for Diabetes Self-Management and Education Support (DSMES) programs. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is able to quickly get up to speed on new topic areas and issues.
- Activities include writing content, supporting the development of informational and promotional resources such as fact sheets, brochures posters, infographics, website content, e-newsletters, social media content, marketing plans, and testimonials, as well as contributing to the development of a new brand for DSMES programs.
- Provides technical input into projects including translating research into persuasive communication products.
- Contributes to communication strategies and work plans.
- Ensures timely implementation and monitors project activities against work plans.
- May provide operational and technical support as needed such as writing and/or reviewing monthly technical reports, updating work plans, and processing sub-contracts and/or contract modifications.
- Coordinate with graphic designers, subcontractors, researchers, other team members and partners, and clients to establish workflows and timelines.
- Use good judgement to monitor and address client issues in a timely manner, and keep senior project management apprised of activity progress.
- Contributes actively to business development efforts.
- Experience working in diabetes and/or with vulnerable populations a plus.
- Experience with supporting communication projects for US Government clients or health related non-profit organizations. Past experience working on communication projects for CDC a major plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of behavior change / social marketing principles.
- Demonstrated experience in translating public health science into persuasive copy for consumers and professionals.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, prioritize, and competently manage a variety of activities with multiple deadlines
- Experience working in a multi-faceted team that includes communication researchers and graphic designers
- Synthesis of communication research finding from qualitative and quantitative data (to include analysis and reporting)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collegial and collaborative manner with work colleagues and clients.
- Motivation and willingness to take initiative and full responsibility for selective activities.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and creatively.
- Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.