First Book has a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 525,000 educators nationwide with an additional 750 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: (This is not a 100% remote position)
The User Experience team manages communication, marketing, and on-site UI for First Book’s network of members -- over 525,000 educators supporting children from low-income communities in school and program settings across the country. Guided by human-centered research and design, the User Experience team develops, supports, and executes programs and multi-channel marketing campaigns to promote the resources and services available for our members. The team supports First Book’s mission by developing organizational strategies to grow the First Book Network, engage and activate its member base, foster a sense of community among members, and distribute books and resources to kids through their educators.
The Manager, User Experience works closely with the Director, User Experience to take new partnerships, initiatives for members, and resources for educators from conception to large-scale, multi-channel distribution. You’ll excel in this role if you’re a creative marketer with a collaborative spirit and a knack for project management. The Manager’s key responsibilities are to support program design, create member and prospective member facing multi-channel communication pieces, assist with developing new resources for educators on critical topics, and build marketing plans to promote these programs and resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Network User Experience Design & Resource Creation – This team collaborates constantly with colleagues in the larger Network Engagement department, cross-functionally, and often directly with our corporate and non-profit partners to design initiatives that distribute funding for books and resources through the First Book Marketplace. The Manager guides the structure of those programs to ensure all touch points with our membership are user friendly, impactful, and relevant for educators serving kids from low-income families. Many initiatives include developing and then marketing free resources and tools that support practitioners as professionals. The Manager supports initiative & resource development by:
o Identifying success metrics that ensure funded campaigns accomplish First Book partner goals, advance our mission, and provide a valuable, positive experience for members.
o Working alongside corporate and non-profit partnership managers to guide programs from ideation through to impact reporting.
o Contributing to the content of the resource itself through independent research, managing practitioner peer reviews, copywriting, and editing.
o Observing or facilitating First Book Research & Insights opportunities, such as focus groups, that inform the direction the resource should take.
o Designing and managing program opt-ins, webinar or other event invitations, focus group recruitment, etc.
o Building stellar relationships with colleagues on the project team, partner contacts, and subject matter experts.
• Multi-Channel Marketing – We are seeking a creative communicator with strong design and marketing skills. The Manager works alongside the Director, User Experience to create and execute robust marketing plans that drive awareness and usage of First Book’s products, resources, and opportunities. The Manager supports marketing by:
o Developing communication strategies to widely promote new resources and initiatives through paid Facebook and Google ad placement, content marketing, SMS campaigns, direct mail, email marketing, etc.
o Creating content and campaign elements/assets for multi-channel campaigns with support from the team (ex: SMS, email, ads)
o Envisioning design elements and working with outside graphic designers to bring them to life, as needed (ex: resources, toolkits, direct mail)
o Identifying key metrics for campaign success with a goal of engaging both members and prospective members
o Monitoring campaign performance metrics, spotting trends, and implementing adjustments accordingly
o Coordinating with vendors such as mail houses, digital consultants, graphic designers, or translators
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability needed to perform this role successfully:
• Proven track-record of designing and implementing multi-channel marketing and communications plans
• A passion for First Book’s mission that is visible and contagious
• Excellent copywriting and written communication skills with a sharp eye for detail
• Graphic design skills and visual creativity
• Strong project management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to spark, cultivate, and grow relationships
• Flexible and adaptable, motivated by a fast pace
• Works effectively in a collaborative team environment
• Works well at both the strategic level (using data and creativity to come up with innovative ideas for growth) and at the tactical level (executing campaigns within marketing tools, analyzing impact, solving problems)
• Takes a positive, solution-oriented approach to opportunities and challenges
Education, Experience, and Systems:
• 4+ years of work experience in communications or digital marketing required
• Experience managing performance-oriented Facebook Ads and Google Ads required, LinkedIn Ads a plus
• Proficiency with Photoshop required. Experience with Canva, InDesign, or other graphic design programs a plus
• Experience with Pardot, Marketing Cloud, Constant Contact, or another similar email platform required
• Google Analytics experience required; certification preferred
• CRM experience required; Salesforce experience preferred
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position to https://firstbook.secure.force.com/careers/. Include a portfolio/examples of your work where possible. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at [email protected] / 202-499-5935.