Reporting directly to the Vice President of Programs (VPP), the National Director of Employment Services (NDES) is responsible for overseeing Upwardly Global’s direct national career services program and supporting our team in meeting (and exceeding!)the national and regional program metrics to hit our 5-year strategic plan goals -- and to help recruit, train, coach, build networks and ultimately support immigrant and refugees job seekers in finding well paid mid- and high-skill jobs that fit their experiences and training.
The NDES will replicate consistent, standardized, and measurable results within a national/regional management structure, as well as implement key strategies that will help the organization maintain its credibility in the field as the go to source of knowledge and results for skilled immigrant workforce integration. They will operationalize national strategy, motivate and develop teams to achieve goals and use data and a deep understanding of our work and context to drive decision making, and benchmarks and dashboards to regularly monitor progress and to manage and empower talent effectively to reach goals. The NDES will navigate relationships internally with all stakeholders across the organization to ensure shared knowledge, best practice and program integration.
The NDES will be responsible of initiating new and innovative programming for immigrants and refugees to create a culture of learning, internally and externally, as well as opportunity- building for program participants. This person will ensure a working environment that fosters excellence, transparency and mutual respect, leveraging technical expertise, the highest professional standards, and problem solving skills. This individual should share our staff’s deep dedication to immigrant and refugee opportunity and to an equitable vision of American and strong emotional and social intelligence.
The NDES, under the direction of the VPP and in partnership with the program leadership team, will provide strategic leadership, manage a high performing team and will provide on-going evaluation of direct service programs and interventions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Program Management
- Manage program leadership, team of regional Program Directors (PDs), and Program Managers (PMs).
- Under the vision of VPP and in partnership with program leaders, set national direct service strategies, informed by regional nuances, and performance benchmarks to reach strategic plan goals in overall training, placement, conversion, and retention targets
- In partnership with VPP and national program team, implement new/additional strategic initiatives to meet recruitment, placement, program efficacy and efficiency targets
- Set expectations and monitor program implementation for standardized elements such as orientations, workshops, coaching sessions, and the like.
- Operational oversight of the assigned national direct service program (budget, expenses, performance, etc.)
- Work closely with VP of Programs and leadership team to develop program objectives
- Manage / coordinate timely and high-quality proposal, program narratives and financial reports with development colleagues
- Define, develop, and land process improvement initiatives, creating and implementing best practices to address key operational challenges, customer pain points, and sources of friction.
- Partner across functions to understand root-cause failures, develop strategies to mitigate, and land efforts to solve.
- Where appropriate, implement software solutions to optimize process improvements
- Build a trusting work environment that supports innovation
- When needed, support Program Directors and Managers in their local efforts to secure and retain employer partnerships
- Serve as functional lead in areas of organizational priority
2. Human Resource Management
- Ensure that the Program leaders and their teams have the necessary training, tools, resources, and information to deliver and evaluate services that meet or exceed internationally accepted standards and protocols
- Ensure a positive and dynamic environment for jobseekers, staff and volunteers
- Provide ongoing learning opportunities and training in areas of core competency and priority for all direct service staff
- Work collaboratively with HQ HR on all personnel-related issues
3. Fundraising and Partnerships
- In connection with VPP and Vice President of Development, support program leaders in liaising with development team and grants management on funding opportunities, proposal development, grant writing, reporting and compliance
- Under the vision of VPP, support program leaders in cultivating excellent relationships with external stakeholders and represent UpGlo in relationships with donors
- In partnership VPP, support program leaders in their efforts regionally and nationally to develop demonstration projects and innovative programming for the local office and support them in leading the execution of these initiatives
4. Financial and Budget Management
- Oversee financial reporting, financial legal compliance, and cash flow
- Provide timely, accurate and effective oversight of all aspects of financial operations consistent with laws, donor requirements, and UpGLo policies and procedures
- Provide regular reports to HQ to assure grant compliance and safeguard against uncovered program costs in budget
- Model excellence and transparency through collaboration, strategic decision-making, evidence-based programming, and efficient management of resources
- Ensure accountability through effective monitoring and impact assessment; comply with UpGlo and donor policies, procedures and requirements and ensure compliance on the part of staff, volunteers and project partners
- Contribute to the development of systems to better measure and demonstrate the impact of our work
- Work collaboratively with leadership, including the ELT, to ensure the direct service program meets expectations and performance measures aligned to annual goals.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Master’s degree a plus
- Five (5) plus years of work experience including leading a full team and direct service program management
- Strong quantitative and data analysis skills required. Knowledge of database systems, such as Salesforce, preferred
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the field of workforce and familiarity with immigrant needs for workforce success.
- Demonstrate passion for UpGlo’s mission, cultural sensitivity and empathy for others.
- Ability to contribute to the organization’s growth and initiative of building a learning culture.
- Possesses financial and program management acumen, proven team-building skills, and the ability to create good processes and systems, sustainable solutions and accountability
- Proven track record of leading high performing teams with high morale, internal development and low turnover
- Ability to use and analyze data to drive program evaluation and management
- Able to work cross-culturally in a diverse environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong presentation skills
- Sound judgment and ability to develop a deep knowledge of the immigrant integration field
- Detail orientated and strong project management skills with an ability to multitask and meet multiple deadlines.
To Apply: Send your resume and cover letter (with salary expectations) to [email protected] with National Director of Employment Services in the subject line.
● Located in one of our key cities - New York, Chicago, San Francisco or DMV