This position is responsible and accountable for the effective and efficient financial, operational, and administrative management of Wabash Valley Habitat for Humanity (WVHfH). The Executive Director provides overall leadership for WVHfH in accordance with the policies, objectives, and direction of the Board of Directors to promote its overall mission, vision, directions, health, and growth.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and is accountable and responsible for leadership, management and oversight of these functions:
Board of Directors Interaction
- Works with the Board of Directors to create strategic plans that include key initiatives and key performance indicators;
- Develops and recommends to Board long- and short-range plans for development of the organization;
- Prepares agenda and financial reports for monthly Board of Directors meetings;
- Meets with Board of Directors on a regular basis; provides overview of WVHfH financial and operational status;
- Assists board with new Board member recruitment;
- Keeps Board of Directors informed of changes to laws and local ordinances that could impact the field of affordable housing and WVHfH’s mission;
- Keeps Board of Directors informed of financial changes that impact strategy.
- Develops and manages an annual budget and reports quarterly to the Board of Directors variances from the approved budget;
- Maintains effective internal control over financial records and systems;
- Monitors cash flow and actively reports anticipated changes and permanent changes to the Board of Directors;
- Presents to the Board of Directors financial statements/reports;
- Creates, implements and ensures compliance with policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure sound business practices;
- Manages all aspects of WVHfH human resources administration;
- Provides leadership, management, coaching, guidance, and development support to WVHfH’s staff;
- Tracks and oversees completion of all obligations associated with operations of a non-profit organization, a Habitat affiliate, and recipient of various grant and foundation funds;
- Ensures all legal obligations are met in a timely manner in accordance with applicable laws and legal guidelines, policies and the Habitat for Humanity covenant;
- Protects organization’s assets against fraud and abuse; monitors the use of resources;
- Promotes a workplace culture that reflects WVHfH’s values while encouraging outstanding performance and rewarding productivity;
- Leads by example and demonstrates appropriate work-life balance, models’ ethical behavior and sets a positive and professional tone.
- Implements, oversees, adjusts, and communicates WVHfH’s strategic, long-term, and operational plans, objectives and responsibilities, and model of homeownership;
- Understands and can explain the budget and interpret financial statements to various stakeholders;
- Formulates and implements revenue streams that are varied, sufficient, and sustainable and supports operational strategy and plans (with consideration of new and continuing operations and the construction cycle);
- Develops a strategic fundraising approach, including a sourcing strategy;
- Implements and assists staff with change management initiatives.
Resource Development and Stewardship
- Creates and oversees the organizational internal and external communication strategy and plans;
- Responsible for overall public accountability and reputation of WVHfH by providing strong leadership, visibility and highest representation of the Habitat mission to the community;
- Serves as primary spokesperson for the organization;
- Maintains and creates partnerships in the community through various outreach techniques;
- Identifies, solicits and meets with donors and grant providers;
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with local coalitions, funding sources, supporters and donors including religious and corporate organizations; federal, state and local government units; and other agencies whose mission are providing affordable and decent housing;
- Executes time-bound plans for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, corporate, foundation and church donors. Responsible to ensure overall success of fundraising strategy, plans, budget and donor recognition;
- Retains relationship with Habitat for Humanity International, state, regional and local Habitat for Humanity affiliates.
- Oversees construction activity to ensure construction of dwellings stays on schedule and within budget;
- Ensures constructions projects are completed to plan;
- Identifies, recommends, sources and procures prospective construction projects/land;
- Cultivates a safety conscious environment for volunteers and staff.
- Homeowner Services Management
- Oversees support activities conducted by staff to ensure the fulfillment of WVHfH’s mission.
- Works closely with the Manager of the ReStore to oversee all store activities, including staffing, marketing, procurement of donated items, and financial activities.
- Volunteer Cultivation and Retention
- Oversees volunteer recruitment and training activities;
- Develops and maintains volunteer retention strategies.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in nonprofit leadership and development with at least five years of experience in a senior leadership role
- Executive level corporate or public sector experience with significant volunteer leadership may be substituted for nonprofit experience.
Preferred Education, Experience or Other Qualifications:
- Oversight/leadership of retail operations
- Oversight/leadership of construction management
- Oversight/leadership of organization change
- Legal and regulatory practices associated with a non-profit organization
- Legal and regulatory practices associated with an affordable housing program