NWMI is a non-profit organization founded in 2009 with the goal of serving the American Muslim community of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Our vision is to create a diverse community seeking spiritual, intellectual, and social growth towards Allah (swt) that is guided by the Quran and the example of the Prophet Muhammad (saws) as transmitted through his family, the Ahlul Bayt (as). NWMI’s mission is to build a diverse American Muslim community that nurtures the next generation.
Over the past ten years, NWMI has created a community that intentionally integrates various schools of thoughts within Islam. We are seeking an Executive Director who understands these differences and embraces this as part of their own leadership philosophy. NWMI’s next Executive Director is expected to use this philosophy to lead and expand NWMI’s community, programs, and initiatives.
The Executive Director must have a passion for serving the American Muslim community and be a champion for NWMI’s mission and vision. The Executive Director has overall strategic and operational responsibility for NWMI’s staff, programs, expansion, and mission execution, both in the present and with an eye toward NWMI’s future. The next Executive Director will embody NWMI’s mission, vision, and values and convey them at all levels within the organization and greater community.S/he is responsible for managing operating costs with Board approval and oversight, meeting fundraising goals set in collaboration with the Board, and cultivating internal and external donor relations in the community. The Executive Director is a representative of the organization and may be asked to speak on the organization’s behalf. S/he must possess excellent interpersonal skills, an approachable demeanor, and enjoy having direct contact with volunteers and community members.
The Executive Director must excel in the following areas:
- Leadership: Possess demonstrated experience with coaching and relationship management. Communicate effectively while engaging and inspiring others.
- Creativity/Innovation: Foster creativity and innovative opportunities within the organization either virtually or in person.
- Community Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of community members.
- Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Flexibility: Exhibit a willingness to be adaptable and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency i.e., post Covid environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities.
- Planning: Devise strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Strategic Thinking: Assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment and the vision and values of the organization.
- Financial Management: Demonstrate a history of successful fundraising, ability to generate new revenue streams, and financial management skills, including budgeting and managing donor relations databases.
- Work Culture: Create a culture of wellness and resilience. Develop proactive practices that support wellness and joy even in times of considerable stress.
- Connections: Establish and maintain positive working relationships internally and externally. Have experience in building partnerships with similar organizations or potential partners, especially intrafaith and interfaith connections.
- A degree in management or related field and/or five plus years of experience in non-profit senior management or similar experience
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Experience with Human Resource management
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or substantial project management and/or event planning experience
Salary range $65,000 - $75,000, commensurate with work experience and background. Benefits include paid time off and sick leave.