Execute a comprehensive direct lobbying and government relations leadership program for ACS CAN in the state. This includes: actively serving as an ambassador for the Society and ACS CAN at state legislatures and congressional offices and on coalitions, leading the planning and implementation of issue campaigns to achieve progress towards legislative successes, managing grassroots staff in the state as well as contract lobbyists, supporting state/division ACS CAN fundraising goal achievement as directed, and complying with all relevant lobbying protocol including lobbyist registration and reporting, using proper codes and time tracking.
- Actively serve as an ambassador for the Society and ACS CAN at state legislatures and congressional offices, appropriately demonstrating the values and reputation of the enterprise and its brand.
- Manage contract lobbyist.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with local, state, and federal elected officials and staff, state department heads and administrative staff.
- Monitor and analyze all relevant pieces of legislation and provide or facilitate oral and written testimony in accordance with ACS CAN policy.
- In close collaboration with other team members and national colleagues, lead planning and implementation of comprehensive and strategic issue campaigns to achieve progress towards legislative and appropriations successes at the state/local level.
- Defeat legislation that would negatively impact the mission of the ACS and ACS CAN
- Serve as an ACS CAN media spokesperson in the state as needed
- Actively serve as ACS CAN’s representative on coalitions aimed at advancing public policy priorities.
- Develop state legislative agendas and supporting materials that include thorough documentation, ensuring consistency with ACS CAN policy positions and messaging.• Closely collaborate with relevant state agency personnel.
- Enhance the overall external visibility of the enterprise in a positive fashion.• Support all grassroots efforts in the state as needed.
- Help grassroots staff to conduct trainings as needed for volunteers and ACS staff in the state, and help prepare volunteers for meetings, testimony, etc.
- Help the enterprise build capacity by working in concert with state and division grassroots staff to engage and communicate with volunteer network.
- Support and/or take the lead on ACS CAN fundraising activities in the state, towards achievement of an annual fundraising goal, including relationship development and management with corporate and high net worth donors.
- Serve on ACS division state management teams, where appropriate.
- Assist with Cancer Votes activities in the state, where relevant, and adhere with all IRS and ACS CAN legal guidelines and reporting.
- Follow ACS CAN policies and guidelines, and comply with all lobbying related requirements and regulations
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Detailed knowledge of the legislative process and political landscape.
- Demonstrates the following Direct Lobbying competencies:
- Decision quality, Strategic mindset, Action-oriented, Drives results, Interpersonal savvy, Persuades, Instills trust, Being resilient.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and computer skills required.
- Ability to work independently with minimum direction as well as work as a member or leader of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work on fast-paced, time-sensitive matters with internal and external constituents.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and communities.
- Ability to complete work in a timely and efficient manner and ensure work is accurate.• Ability to utilize available technology to perform position responsibilities.
- It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status. Some travel required.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.