The Society for Advancing Business Editing and Writing (SABEW), the world’s largest association of financial journalists, seeks an executive director who has nonprofit management experience and an appreciation of business journalism.
We're looking for a leader who can take our 60-year-old organization to the next level. SABEW is an independent, nonprofit organization that advocates for business journalism around the world and provides support to nearly 4,000 journalists along with writers and editors in related industries.
The executive director will supervise a small, remote staff and will be responsible for all aspects of SABEW operations. The director will work closely with SABEW's board of governors, officers and executive committee to implement an annual conference and other training opportunities, administer an annual journalism contest, manage the budget, serve as an ambassador to the industry, and help the organization grow its financial resources to support ongoing activities. The ideal candidate will be capable of helping the organization think strategically and ambitiously about its future, while also effectively managing day-to-day operations.
This is a remote role with some travel required to participate in the SABEW annual conference and other events.
* Fundraising: Lead the organization's fundraising efforts, expand upon existing opportunities, and cultivate individual, foundation and corporate donors and sponsors. The ideal candidate will have experience writing grant proposals, executing grant-supported projects and managing relationships with the foundations that support SABEW’s work.
* Financial management: Develop and manage SABEW's budget and oversee its fiscal operations, including taxes, bookkeeping, and proper records maintenance.
* Administration: Supervise a small staff and manage the day-to-day operations of the organization, as well as SABEW’s annual journalism awards program.
* Program planning: Working in tandem with SABEW's board and partners, plan an annual conference and other training and networking opportunities. Technical knowledge and experience managing virtual and hybrid webinars and events are highly valued for this role.
* Relationship building: Liaison with industry leaders, SABEW's board of governors, and the organization's partners and donors. Support SABEW's board and committees.
* Membership development: Work with the board to increase and diversify SABEW membership.
* Culture and communication: Maintain an inclusive, supportive culture that attracts, retains, promotes, and engages SABEW members and employees.
* A relevant bachelor's degree
* At least three years experience managing a non-profit and its budget
* Experience developing funds through fundraising, grant writing, an annual campaign, and/or other methods.
* Interest in and an appreciation of business journalism
* Excellent organizational and communication skills
* Salary of $100,000 to $120,000 for the first year, with the potential for increases and an annual bonus, subject to performance review
* Flexible paid time off
* Health insurance coverage and retirement savings plan
* Full-time remote work (some travel required)
* Paid vacation
To apply, send cover letter and resume to the search committee at [email protected].
Applications must be received by June 16, 2023.