FHI 360 is seeking applications for the position of Project Director for the EpiC project in South Africa.
The Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) is a five-year global project funded by the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), is dedicated to achieving and maintaining HIV epidemic control. The project provides strategic technical assistance (TA) and direct service delivery (DSD) to break through barriers to 95-95-95 and promote self-reliant management of national HIV programs by improving HIV case-finding, prevention, and treatment programming. In South Africa, EpiC will be implementing a voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) service delivery project which aims to reduce HIV infections through targeted provision of VMMC in pursuit of reaching 95-95-95 goals. To achieve this goal, the program will increase demand for and provide high quality, high volume cost-efficient VMMC services in South Africa, coordinate with USAID’s Global Health Supply Chain implementing partner and support the transition of direct VMMC service delivery to the Government of South Africa.
The Project Director will have overall responsibility for administration, program management, performance monitoring and technical implementation of VMMC activities, under the oversight of the EpiC Management Team at HQ. S/he will serve as the primary point of contact for the VMMC service delivery program with the USAID/South Africa Activity Manager. S/he will provide technical and management leadership to the project and ensure successful implementation of the work plan and achievement of the project’s targets and goals within budget. The Project Director will also be responsible for maintaining regular communication with EpiC HQ staff and manage a locally based team to drive efficient and compliant program operations including implementing partners. The Project Director will manage and provide oversight to the two implementing partners in South Africa, and provide technical and programmatic oversight directly to the activity areas as well as liaise with and foster relationships with senior government officials (including national and local departments of health), dignitaries, other USAID programs (including the Global Health Supply Chain program) executives of CSOs, and the for-profit business community. S/he will ensure that technical activities adhere to quality standards from Government of South Africa (GoSA), WHO and PEPFAR. S/he will ensure the project works closely with the NDOH VMMC team, provincial and district health teams, PEPFAR and other partners such as other USG agencies and non-USG donors.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a senior management position for large (approximately $5M per year), complex, multi-year international health sector development projects that have implemented successful activities in areas such as HIV prevention, care and treatment especially VMMC, preferably in South Africa
- At least ten years of relevant experience with progressively increasing responsibility in planning, managing, leadership and evidence-based decision making of similar HIV/AIDS service delivery programs;
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience leading a technical activity through evidence and data-driven decision making;
- At least three years of experience managing VMMC programs, preferably in South Africa;
- At least three years of successful experience interacting with South African Government at national, provincial, and/or district levels;
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to liaise with senior government officials, dignitaries, executives of NGOs, FBOs, CBOs, and the for-profit business community, and senior members of the donor community; and
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners, and proven ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.