Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East believes that everyone deserves a decent and affordable place to call home. We create opportunities for people in the Portland Metro region to transform their lives, building strength, stability, and self-reliance through affordable homeownership. We are nationally recognized as one of the most successful Habitat for Humanity affiliates in the country, on the leading edge of program development, innovation, and fundraising. The recognition of the Habitat for Humanity brand helps fuel our success in building relationships within our community.
As the Events Manager, you will have the opportunity to build a career working alongside an inspired and motivated team to address the most urgent issue facing our city—the high cost of housing. The Events Manager will report to the Development Manager and is responsible for leading the planning, implementation, fundraising strategy, and organization of the two signature events: The HopeBuilder Breakfast, with 1,500+ attendees raising over $500,000 and the Hard Hat & Black Tie Dinner and Auction with over 400 guests, raising over $600,000 to help meet the need for affordable homeownership in Portland.
In addition to the two signature fundraisers, the Events Manager will also oversee Build Site Community Celebrations, the annual President’s Luncheon appreciation event, and ongoing special events as they arise throughout the year.
This position is an opportunity for the right candidate to become deeply involved in the operations of a fast-paced, high-performing resource development department.
- Lead planning and execution of logistics of major annual fundraising events. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, liaising with event committees, project management, developing the event fundraising strategy with the Resource Team, timeline building and management, budgeting, coordinating invitations and fundraising/event materials (print and electronic), assigning roles to staff and volunteers, tracking guest RSVPs, and day-of event execution.
- Responsible for maintaining event project management schedules and task lists to ensure all deadlines are met. Provide co-workers with consistent and ongoing progress reports for each event.
- Responsible for leading a team in meeting event fundraising goals. Coordinate fundraising strategy and logistics with major gifts team and Director of Business Engagement.
- Handle and advance information for event contracts, i.e. event venue, catering, supplies, event collateral, etc.
- Work closely with the Director of Communications and Graphic Designer to produce all print and electronic materials necessary for events.
- Manage on-site logistics, including, but not limited to, event venue and assessment, walkthroughs, menu tastings, event flow, AV, layouts etc. as needed for event planning.
- Manage top-notch pre and post event guest experience through warm and responsive communication, including RSVP and guest tracking. Work with Resource Team to hold and assign seats for guests.
- Recognize in- kind donors as appropriate, and maintain ongoing relationships with the Auction Committee and donors.
- Collaborate and provide support for other development events, house parties, build site events, luncheons and receptions
- Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, donors, committee members, volunteers, homebuyers and Board members
- Recruit and supervise volunteers and interns as required
- 3 years’ prior experience managing large events
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; excellent time-management and problem-solving skills
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Highly organized and deadline focused
- Proven ability to work with Board Members, donors, and Events Committee leadership
- Proven ability to work with fundraising team in meeting event financial goals
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience managing consultants, and vendors
- Ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image
- High-level understanding of Raiser’s Edge or other customer databases
- Proficiency using Word, Excel and Outlook products
- Ability to adhere to policies and support management decisions in a positive and professional manner
- Commitment to exemplary customer service
- Availability to work evenings or weekends as event timelines require
- Dedicated to the Habitat’s mission