The Accounting Manager is responsible for overseeing and participating in full-cycle A/P, posting/reviewing GL, daily sales reconciliation, monthly credit card statements, general accounting duties, and will oversee 1–2 Accounting Assistants. In connection with the Director of Finance, they will also manage daily cash reporting, and produce monthly financial statements for both the Portland Japanese Garden and the Japanese Garden Foundation. This position will work from our remote office, located off the Sylvan exit along Highway 26.
The Accounting Manager reports to the Director of Finance.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden is requiring all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date. ‘Fully vaccinated’ means 2 shots of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or 1 shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine – plus 2 weeks after the final shot.
- Oversees and processes accounts payable invoices, identifying and resolving any discrepancies
- Works with all departments to ensure approvals and accurate account coding. Oversees check processing, including the verification of W-9s on file when applicable, and completes 1099’s at year-end
- Helps maintain the general ledger, including posting and reviewing entries, and month-end account reconciliations
- Oversees the monthly employee credit card statement process, verifying all receipts attached, ensuring accurate account coding, and resolving issues with credit card holders when necessary
- Oversees daily sales reports and entries
- Supervises 1-2 Accounting Assistants
- Documents any changes/updates in policies and procedures, as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
- Studies have shown that women and people of color are much less likely to apply for a position unless they feel they meet every qualification as described. We are committed to finding the best overall candidate, and understand that candidate may come from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Full-Cycle Accountant/Bookkeeper
- Minimum of 1 year of managerial experience
- Ability to exercise judgement and discretion when handling sensitive and confidential information
- Detail-oriented with an ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to operate well in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work under pressure and/or with frequent interruptions
- Ability to plan, organize, and follow through
- Confidence to request clarification when necessary, and ability to discern when something should be questioned
- Quick learner
- Able to both take direction, and also work independently, while meeting deadlines
- Effective professional/business communication
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Non-profit experience a plus (MIP experience an A+)
- Sense of humor is good (and potentially necessary for survival 😊)
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs on occasion.
- Must have reliable transportation, proof of insurance, and clean DMV record for travel between office locations.
- Salary: $47,500 – $52,500 annually, depending on experience
- This is a full-time, salaried position with 40-45 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday-Friday.
- health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees)
- 401k plan (after 90 days, with 4% employer match after 1 year)
- flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
- paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
- free access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references via our online Career Center (https://japanesegarden.org/careers). Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Application process will remain open until position is filled.
Portland Japanese Garden is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.