The Make-A-Wish internship program is designed for current undergraduate or graduate students who have a goal of being a leader in the non-profit sector. The purpose of the internship program is to help undergraduate and/or graduate students further cultivate their skills through a real-life work experience.
The Accounting Internship will provide the opportunity to gain exposure to not-for-profit accounting. The intern will primarily work directly with the Accounting Manager and Director of Finance, CFS to support a multitude of accounting and project management task related to 31 Make-A-Wish chapters. The intern may, on occasion, also provide other support to the Centralized Financial Services (CFS) department as needed. This additional support may include month-end GL accounting, processing and reviewing revenue/expense transactions, system integration projects, and external audit preparation. The intern may also assist with other projects that support initiatives to improve processes and efficiency for the department.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and accounting, either through coursework or employment experience
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to confidently and clearly communicate information verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality with financial information
- Proficiency in MS Suite and internet research tools
- Some volunteer experience preferred, although not required
- Assist in the external audit process, such as: running queries and reports in the accounting system to provide to the auditors, compiling information related to investments and pledges, and pulling supporting documentation for audit testing. Also, may include research and collaboration with the CFS accounting teams to provide responses to audit requests.
- Support the accounting teams with the month end close process, including routine journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, bank reconciliations, and financial statement drafting.
- Assisting with projects as necessary.
- Performing general administrative duties which support the Centralized Financial Services department.