SumOfUs is looking for an experienced digital fundraiser to help grow our income and develop our fundraising team. If you love raising money to fight for change, if you're excited about global economic justice, and if you're hungry to experiment with new technology, then this is the role for you.
Who we are
SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable and just path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 15 million people, brought together by a global team of over 30 campaigners, technologists, media-fanatics, data-geeks, and strategists. Our purpose is to challenge corporate power everywhere. We hold the biggest corporations in the world (and their political allies) to account by mobilising millions of people to take collective action.
By working with humility and humour, and investing in its people and systems, SumOfUs aims to build the most effective, diverse, and talented global team possible. We’re passionate, low-ego, and fun to work with. We’re always looking for new ways of doing things, and we embrace professional and organisational growth.
What you’ll do as a fundraising specialist on the SumOfUs team
- Write compelling fundraising emails that inspire our members to donate. You’ll come up with strategic actions and compelling narratives about corporate power;
- Coordinate with campaigners on the strategic tactics to win campaigns and build our movement;
- Work directly with fundraising team leader to achieve strategic objectives by leading projects including, but not limited to donor stewardship and team development;
- Make sure we’re updating our best-practices to reflect global (and regional) trends in digital fundraising;
- Support our team and work with contractors, including project management;
- Act as a deputy to the fundraising team leader;
- Get a chance to try your hand at campaigning; and
- Other roles, as needed (we’re still a start-up environment and so we all pitch in when and where we’re needed).
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring
We have no formal education requirements – if you take on the role and are willing to grow with it, that’s all that matters.
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Comfortable in fast-moving work environments;
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy;
- An excellent communicator in English;
- An enthusiastic technologist and experimenter;
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace culture.
And, this role in particular will require you to:
- Have at least two years experience in digital fundraising;
- Have expertise in making donors feel appreciated and valued;
- Be a talented copywriter with an excellent understanding of donor behaviour and how to inspire people to donate;
- Be keen to learn and develop new skills;
- Have experience at least 2 years experience supervising and mentoring staff; and
- Be based in a time zone between GMT +2hours (Western Europe / East Africa and GMT -8 hours (West Coast Americas).
Other skills that would be nice to have
Here’s a list of other skills that you might have. We know that no one can possibly have all these skills - you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Be familiar with the Avaaz/MoveOn/38 Degrees/Campact model of digital fundraising;
- Experience using SQL and data and experimentation tools (e.g. Optimizely), ideally in a fundraising environment;
- Proficiency in major world languages other than English – especially French, German or Spanish;
- Experience managing a large email list (100,000+ subscribers);
- Experience with online campaigning;
- From or experience working closely with communities affected by corporate power -- from indigenous communities to low-wage workers;
- Experience cultivating individual major donors and/or foundation giving;
- Experience in remote working;
- Experience with market campaigns or corporate accountability issues;
- Experience working with mobile technology and user interfaces.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and the city you live in.
For some context qualified applicants would likely be offered around the following salaries in these example locations:
- Brussels: €52,993
- Johannesburg: 847,000 ZAR
- New York: $73,049
- Buenos Aires: 2,432,000 ARS / $55,000
We offer significant benefits, including:
- the ability to work from home or a co-working space,
- flexibility to set your own hours,
- five weeks vacation time per year,
- paid-sick leave,
- six months paid parental leave,
- health insurance, and
- 8% retirement fund contributions.
Please apply via our website.
We don’t find cover letters particularly helpful. Instead, use the form below to upload your CV/resume and a PDF document with your answers to the following five questions:
- Why are you applying for this job? (suggested word limit: 125);
- Briefly describe one individual fundraising campaign that you had primary responsibility for running including the ask and the results. (suggested word limit: 125)
- Name a campaign you think SumOfUs should be running, and describe its potential for fundraising and having impact in the world (suggested word limit: 250 words). The campaign should be something you think is going to engage all of our members around the world. Make sure to include the target of the campaigns and the “ask”. Check out recent examples of our campaigns at sumofus.org/campaigns for inspiration.
- Name one technology you would like to experiment with using in your fundraising work, and explain why (suggested word limit: 125).
- List which of the “nice to have” skills above you have, with a few words of explanation if that’s useful.
Applications will be open until Monday 6th May, midnight (pacific time)
This position will report to the Fundraising and Campaigns Director.
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; new parents; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.