US non-profit supporting the internationally acclaimed Abaarso School in Somaliland is seeking a Director of Development to work directly with the Founder and Board. Abaarso has been featured on 60 Minutes, in the New York Times, and in BBC, CNN, Bloomberg, a feature-length documentary, and the book, It Takes a School. The non-profit is looking to dramatically ramp up its impact in Somaliland and the broader region, having already added a women's university and now launching its first primary school. The Director of Development will be instrumental in executing plans to rollout high quality education across society, which involves growing annual donations from approximately $1 million to over $5 million.
- Work closely with the Executive Director (Founder), Board, and Heads of key funding entities, to develop and implement fundraising strategy and donor development infrastructure, including messaging and communications.
- Forge new relationships to enhance the organization’s vision, impact, and financial resources; Develop strategies to attract and steward donors; identify, cultivate and apply for new funding streams each year.
- Forecast and track funding receipts for each year
- Work with CFO/COO to conduct the full range of activities required to research, write and prepare grant proposals and reports to funders
- Create donor-facing materials to highlight and update on our work.
- Provide support for the Executive Director, and guidance to the Board and staff, on donor solicitations
- In collaboration with the grants manager and CFO/COO, ensure accurate and timely input of donor data and production of accurate internal reports
- In collaboration with the grants manager and CFO/COO, ensure timely and high-quality submissions of grants and reports to funders
Applicants should be able to display prior interest in a related mission of the organization.
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Job location is flexible but must work well with the Founder who is based in Massachusetts and a greatly NYC based board. Looking for seasoned applicants with proven success in major gifts and the desire to work in a highly entrepreneurial and impactful organization. Applicants should be able to display prior interest in a related mission. This hire will be the non-profit’s first Director of Development. The job includes building the structure that will enable growth.