The Habitat for Humanity–Hilti Foundation Project aims to improve the environmental impact, resilience, and quality of home construction in the Philippines. With this, the project targets to construct 10,000 disaster-resilient, low-cost Bamboo Cement Frame Houses for vulnerable informal settler families (ISFs) in Negros Occidental in the next five years. Beyond the construction of the homes, the project intends to:
- Provide innovative housing solutions and help in the development of sustainable communities with local government units (LGUs);
- Promote the use of sustainable eco-friendly construction technologies to help reduce home construction’s impact on Climate Change.
Its three core implementation concepts are:
- Green: Promoting the adoption of environmentally friendly construction materials and practices.
- Disaster-resilient: Reducing poor households’ vulnerability to natural hazards through safer construction and better community design.
- Sustainable Community: Ensuring that the social, economic, environmental and political factors are present to help the community thrive and become independent and self-reliant.
- A coalition of stakeholders, led by Habitat, Hilti and local government units, will implement the project. Partnerships with national government agencies, other NGOs, land developers, vulnerable informal communities and research institutions will support and add value. Hence, the project seeks a dynamic and progressive Chief of Party (CoP), reporting to Habitat Philippines’ Chief Operating Officer (COO), to lead an innovative, motivated and professional project implementation team.
The CoP provides overall leadership to and exercises administrative control over the Project Implementation Team in Negros Occidental. He/She:
- Leads the overall project implementation ensuring that operational plans per function (construction, resource development, partnerships, community development, land banking and site development, monitoring and evaluation, among others) are implemented according to the strategic plan.
- Monitors, reviews, and decides on issues that have significant impact on the project.
- Spearheads the achievement of outcomes contained in the Project’s Impact 2024 Strategic Plan.
- Leads the implementation of the Project’s strategic plan and goals.
- Identifies key risks that could affect the achievement of strategic plan outcomes and proposes relevant mitigation measures to address these risks.
- Defines a program evaluation framework and sets up the programmatic assessment of various initiatives being implemented to identify best practices and areas of improvement.
- Develops reports to outline a picture of the performance of project operations and initiatives.
- Supervises cross-functional teams for project development.
- Develops a detailed annual operating plan for the team that will facilitate the achievement of its strategic goals.
- Organizes the group into resource efficient and effective operating units.
- Analyzes cost efficiency and quality of outputs, especially for direct construction, from project conception to completion.
- Develops and implements processes and systems to improve operational performance.
- nsures the compliance of house builds and other program activities with relevant industry, governmental and Habitat regulations, policies and standards.
- Ensures that quality control and monitoring systems are applied to all phases of the project management cycle, including selection and oversight of implementing partners, quality of construction materials, training and performance evaluation of construction staff.
- Oversees documentation and evaluation, including accurate and timely reporting (internally and externally) of all program activities.
- Manages program and project funds to ensure expenditures are within approved budgets, monitors variances in cash flows, and addresses issues in consultation with the COO.
- Keeps the COO abreast of program activities and proposal development.
- Consults with the COO to address risks, challenges and other critical issues.
- Builds and leads an effective and cohesive team for efficient implementation of the project.
- Ensures adequate orientation and appropriate staff training so they can effectively discharge their roles.
- Works with direct reports to ensure that performance management and staff development is carried out for the whole team according to established Habitat human resource and organization development (HRLOD) processes.
- Collaborates with other stakeholders to ensure synergy and coordination across the organization.
- Preferred – master’s degree in urban planning, public administration or related field and familiarity in private sector property development.
- At least 10 years of work and leadership experience in managing complex projects.
- Demonstrated experience in all phases of project development and effectively delivering large scale program implementation.
- Extensive experience working in the non-profit sector and coordination with local government units and national government agencies on housing and shelter.
Special Skills / Knowledge:
- Knowledge of client groups and/or issues related to the program.
- Knowledge in real estate business/construction management desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to influence, challenge and negotiate at senior levels using sound judgement.
- Proven record of influencing people for higher performance and coaching senior level staff.
- Capable of handling strategic and operational issues and address these to achieve the desired results.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to build business relations.
Required Personal Characteristics:
- Willingness to work flexible schedules (e.g. meeting with stakeholders on the weekend).
- Willingness to travel in programmatic areas to review, monitor progress and assist relevant functional managers.
- An effective team player and results-oriented.
- Willingness to uphold the Christian principles of Habitat.
- This is a project-based position. Applicants should have the right to work in the Philippines where this position is to be based.