The Food Transporter will assist in ordering, preparing, serving and documenting meals and snacks. This position is responsible for safely, transporting meals to program satellite sites. Food Transporters contribute to the smooth flow of operations in the assigned kitchen, and to the functioning of the kitchen in adherence to health and food safety codes and the strict cleanliness of the kitchen and food service and storage areas. This position may involve reassignment to various kitchens/centers as deemed necessary for program operations.
As a front line representative of Save the Children, Food Transporters are required to ensure the safety and security of children and families that, he/she comes in contact with and represents the agency values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity.
As a Save the Children employee who will come into contact with children on a routine basis, the position is expected to prevent child abuse in every situation by striving, through mental awareness, good practice and training, to minimize risk to children. The position must take positive steps to protect children who may be a subject of concern and report, respond to any instance of child abuse and promote training and awareness around all child-safeguarding obligations.
- Delivers meals to satellite Head Start Program sites
- Keeps in close contact with the site office while in the field
- Conducts pre- and post- inspections of vehicle daily
- Ensures health and safety standards are followed at all times of deliveries (to and from vehicle and to and from classrooms), by maintaining and monitoring the food temperatures before and after deliveries
- Reports any and all accidents or incidents to the supervisor immediately
- Provides a clean and safe environment inside and outside of the transporter vehicle
- Maintains and follows delivery schedule as set by program management
- Assists with maintenance of inventory for food service operations
- Assists with the processing and storage of food and food-related items as they are delivered
- Helps prepare food to meet the needs of children with special needs, restricted diets, medical issues or disabilities; ensures that specifications are met in accordance to Save the Children policies as well as state and federal regulations
- Helps serve all meals as planned, paying attention to food presentation and freshness
- Assists with overseeing full kitchen operations
- Attends child nutrition meetings and required program meetings.
- Receives, inspects and verifies delivery of food, food related items and all kitchen/food inventory in absence of Head Cook
- Implements a cost effective food service program, according to federal, state and local regulations that is a financially successful operation by helping to control food and labor costs
- Performs any other relevant duties as assigned by manager
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a food service environment
- Relevant knowledge of basic food preparation and kitchen operations
- Strong team work and be customer service oriented
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Organizational skills and overall cleanliness