VisionFund International (VFI), the microfinance subsidiary of World Vision, manages a global network of microfinance institutions (MFIs). In order to efficiently align all VFI financial resources behind strategy and impact, an investment function has been established to ensure rigorous, objective, and transparent investment decision making. The investment function is a broad division of the VFI Global Centre Finance department and comprises the following departmental units:
- Investment Transaction – sourcing of investment opportunities, underwriting analysis, structuring, pricing, execution, and performance monitoring.
- Portfolio Management – strategy, budgeting, asset allocation and rebalancing, market and economic monitoring, reporting, analysis, and administration.
- Treasury – management of liquidity, short term investments, and asset/liability risk (including FX, interest rate, maturity, and portfolio quality), hedging, trading, and settlements.
The Investment Analyst reports to the Investment Director and provides analysis and reporting at both the transaction and portfolio levels, as well as supporting treasury and accounting needs.
Develop and write investment proposals for equity and debt transactions to be presented to the Investment Director and Impact Investment Committee for approval:
- Work cross-functionally with VFI Risk, Impact, Strategy and Regional teams to complete market and entity-level assessments of investment risk/return/impact profile.
- Research and interpret company data to facilitate investment proposal recommendations, including interviews with MFI management and other stakeholders.
- Evaluate credit applications utilizing CAMELS methodology (Capital adequacy, asset quality, management, earnings, liquidity, and market sensitivty).
- Help design and utilize financial modeling to assess valuation.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of industry happenings and current events, conduct primary and secondary research from industry sources.
- Prepare for and attend Impact Investment Committee meetings, including preparation of meeting materials, presentation of investment proposals for approval, and recording of meeting minutes as required.
- Report to Impact Investment Committee performance on previously approved investment trasactions and assist Investment Director in following up accountability for investment contingencies.
- Work with MFIs to resolve gaps and concerns, and escalate severe problems or issues to senior management.
- Identify potential investment opportunities.
Portfolio Management and Reporting:
- Evaluate existing investment strategies both for performance monitoring and for potential opportunities to increase efficiency through structural or other modifications.
- Periodically review performance and risk across all investments.
- Attend and contribute to Investment Capital Management (ICM) calls.
- Work with Investment Director to collect and analyze MFI rolling funding forecasts.
Maintain awareness of market, economic, and political developments that impact the risk profile of the portfolio.
- Prepare portfolio analysis (performance, composition, etc.) and reporting to Impact Investment Committee, Management, and the Board.
- Prepare hedge tracking schedules and report FX open position monthly to Investment Director.
- Manage linkage between loan/hedge analysis and accounting team to ensure the following:
- Investment related journal entries are produced by deadlines required by accoutning team for month end close.
- Derivatives and portfolio are marked to market appropriately.
- Manage the VFI Loan Database including the recording of investment data, design of database requirements, and querying data.
- Prepare requested analysis and assemble quarterly reporting package for Management Risk Committee, recording of meeting minutes as required.
- Produce 3rd party borrowings schedule report in a timely manner and free of errors based on available information.
Treasury and FX Support:
Provide support to the folowing treasury functions as needed:
- Act as backup trader for Investment Director - seek quotes and execute hedge contracts for foreign currency loan agreements and other currency transactions when required.
- Prepare monthly settlement instructions for all derivatives and act as liaison with WVI Treasury and hedge counterparties. Reconcile all hedge activity against VFI records.
- Instruct wire payments as requested for VFI lending and investment transactions.
- Assess FX spot markets for material savings and recommend optimal counterparties for foreign currency wire transfers.
- Contribute to ad hoc financial analysis requests and projects in order to cross train and support the wider team when possible.
- Ensure that interest expense on VFI borrowings are paid in a timely manner.
- Assist with the GC Investment component of the annual planning process, including compiling MFI funding plans.
- Support the annual audit process for investment related requirements.
- Strong MS Excel skills required, with competency in intermediate to advanced functions.
- Advanced knowledge of financial markets.
- 3+ years direct financial analysis experience, ideally in banking or related investing or lending practices.
- Demonstrated intercultural communication and influencing skills.
- Theoretical knowledge of and/or experience with foreign currency risk and hedging.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- International / Multinational experience preferred, in particular in emerging markets.
- Masters Degree (MBA, MS Accounting, etc) and/or professional certification (CPA/CFA).
- Highly organized, with the initiative and ability to work with limited supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively within a small team setting.
- Organized, detail-oriented and extremely thorough while having the confidence and communication skills to ensure work processes are completed accurately and appropriately.
- Strong problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative and critically analyze processes and procedures in a push toward constant improvement.
- Experience working with colleagues in different languages and timezones.
- National/international travel anticipated up to 10% of the time and flexibility to communicate with colleagues in different timezones (email/skype/phone).