The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a Payroll Specialist. The Payroll Specialist will manage, process, and account for payroll and benefits as well as maintain all related data and records; these functions will be performed in order to support the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position is located in the organization’s Miami office.
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For over 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of four offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8 million and 55 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
The Payroll Specialist is a staff position within the Affiliate’s Finance and Administration Department and reports to the Deputy Director of Finance.
- Timely and accurate management and maintenance of employee payroll and HR programs, including:
- Semimonthly payroll processing with the Professional Employer Organization (PEO).
- Benefits and compensation administration including payroll changes.
- Prepare and maintain payroll files and reports.
- Staff expense reimbursement review and processing.
- Timekeeping data management.
- Assist with new hire setup and onboarding.
- Conduct monthly payroll reconciliations/audits.
- Assist in handling staff payroll and benefits inquiries.
- Assist in the completion of the annual National ACLU Census, Pension Audits, and other audits/reports.
- Assist with ensuring policy is followed on all staff expense reimbursements.
- Assist with general bookkeeping and reporting when necessary.
- Assist Finance and Administration Department with special projects and tasks as needed.
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field.
- Experience working in a non-profit, advocacy or political organization.
- A commitment to diversity and an ability to work collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations regardless of their race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances.
- Team player with the ability to engage various constituencies in a complex environment.
- Flexibility, patience, and willingness to learn.
- Self-starter, with an ability to work independently when necessary.
- Detail oriented and organized, with a strong commitment to follow-through and meeting deadlines.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with processing payroll including garnishments and benefits deduction.
- Good understanding of various employee benefit plans (i.e., FSA, HSA, & 401K) and their related effect on federal and state payroll tax calculations is a plus.
- Ability to quickly learn and use new technology and software. Proficient with QuickBooks, Payroll, Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Solid accounting skills with 3+ years of experience in Accounting/Bookkeeping.
- Applicants must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, have strong customer service, written, phone and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in Spanish or Creole preferred, but not required.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $60,000 - $80,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan. Base vacation leave is five weeks per year.
Please send cover letter and resume by email to [email protected]. All inquiries should include Payroll Specialist in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the ACLU of FL, is currently working remotely.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. Fluency in Spanish and Creole is preferred but not required.