HFHI’s strategy for housing market systems and housing finance in Asia Pacific (AP) calls for an expanded role in market approaches to housing improvement for low-income communities. The Senior Specialist will be responsible to develop and implement the financial inclusion strategy for Asia Pacific by working closely with the financial institutions and help them develop/refine housing finance products. The position will also support a new and evolving work of housing finance system. The position also provides strategic, leadership, management, and oversight of programs to expand Habitat’s work with housing market actors in the region. The position requires working with private sector firms and both independent Habitat for Humanity National Offices (NOs) and HFHI branches, requiring exceptional interpersonal and consulting skills.
Financial Inclusion & Capital Markets
- Guides the implementation of Financial Inclusion Strategy in Asia Pacific and provide inputs for further developing the strategy
- Work closely with financial institutions/microfinance institutions and help them develop/refine housing microfinance products by delivering a range of advisory services such as market design, process mapping, product design, pilot planning, and training. Development of housing support services, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Work closely with NOs on their housing and financial inclusion strategy and initiatives
- Oversees budget, donor identification and proposal development
Project and Staff Management
- Manage the financial inclusion partnerships in the region by serving as a project manager for the engagements
- Implements and monitors key strategic metrics such as Standards of Excellence (SOE) and Global Matrix Tool (GMT) for housing finance
- Assures quality for TCIS-driven advisory engagements, including project resources and deliverables
Networking and Representation
- Influences the sector to allocate more capital in housing by sharing learnings and experience from Habitat's financial inclusion initiatives.
- Advisory engagements to financial institutions successfully delivered
- Deliverables for each engagement are produced with high quality and as per the timelines
- Contribution in the proposal development
- Minimum five years of experience in microfinance, housing finance or inclusive finance related business with progressively increasing responsibility; Experience developing and/or managing projects; Experience related to housing strongly preferred; Asia experience strongly preferred; Sales experience is a plus.
- Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Identifies and analyzes situations and/or issues, considers options, develops and decides on solutions, recommends and/or implements and monitors appropriate solutions.
- Establishes a systematic course of action for self and others to ensure accomplishment of specific objectives. Balances the needs and interests of various stakeholders and the broader organization. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively. Recognizes when there is enough data for a decision and the risk of not having all possible information is tolerable.
- Ability to communicate, affirm and apply the foundational values and principles of HFHI in decisions, recommendations and actions while carrying out work assignments.
- Ability to act as a trusted advisor to financial institutions and other market actors, makes decisions, takes actions or makes commitments, after considering the available courses of action, overall organizational needs and the needs and values of others.
- Works well in teams with a preference for transparency and collegial decision-making.
- Sales: Demonstrates ability to package and successfully sell advisory services to market actors working with BOP communities and individuals. Capacity to write and oversee writing of technical proposals for grants and/or contracts.
- Project Management: Demonstrates ability to define projects and initiatives and monitor implementation for effective realization of intended benefits and outcomes; Manage project budgets; and Deliver reports on time.
- Microfinance: Experience working with Microfinance preferred, and some extent of knowledge of housing microfinance desired.
- Training skills: Capacity to lead training sessions, and the creation of training session materials. Good people skills with the ability to communicate cross-culturally and work in teams. Understanding of HFHI current ministry and operations will be preferred.
- Business Know-How: Applies a broad-based understanding of key business fundamentals including organization, strategic relationships, and the business/political environment. Uses a high-level understanding of finance, operations, marketing, information systems, and human resources to coordinate across departmental and functional lines. Evaluates and manages risks to the organization at all levels.
- Written Communication: Expresses ideas, thoughts, and concepts clearly and effectively in writing. English Language Proficiency: The ability to speak, understand and write fluently in English.