The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking candidates for the position of Associate in our Los Angeles office to provide assistance to the Development and Outreach team in Southern California. The Los Angeles office serves as an important base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach activities in Southern California. This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position, reporting to the Senior Associate Director for Southern California.
- Provide administrative support to the Senior Director and Senior Associate Director of Southern California and Director of Santa Barbara, including scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, recording and processing divisional finances, and making travel arrangements;
- Provide special event support for the annual dinners, film screenings, and other events throughout the year by managing mailings, tracking RSVP's, overseeing volunteers and interns, coordinating materials, working with vendors, etc.;
- Coordinate local events such as Committee meetings, receptions, and briefings;
- Assist with prospect and donor relationship management with Los Angeles Committee members and Santa Barbara Committee members by coordinating correspondence, contacting donors, scheduling and preparing for donor meetings, and tracking communication;
- Provide general administrative and operational support to the Los Angeles office, including providing orientations, answering phones, processing mailings, maintaining accurate files, responding to requests for information, troubleshooting issues that arise, liaising with vendors such as internet providers, monitoring office administration budget, ordering supplies, and handling office maintenance and facilities issues such as office security;
- Maintain the Raiser's Edge donor database by updating records and information, processing gifts from all Southern California donors, generating financial reports, lists and queries, updating information, overseeing data entry for special events and ensuring the integrity and confidentiality of the data;
- Prepare, format, edit and distribute communications, correspondence, and documents, including web content for the Los Angeles and Santa Barbara web pages and other relevant social media;
- Coordinate the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of work-study students and interns; and
- Carry out other duties as required.
- A minimum of one year of relevant work experience and a demonstrated interest in human rights are required.
- Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including patience and a sense of humor, and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, including donors are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally are required.
- Strong analytical skills and the natural curiosity and creativity needed to conduct online research are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required; experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases is desirable.
- Experience with event planning, community engagement, and/or philanthropy is preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $47, 436. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.