The Ministry Director must provide strong management and leadership of Agape Development’s ministry programs. The Ministry Team works on the front lines of neighborhood care and deals with a variety of individuals who have both beautiful gifts and difficult challenges. The job requires both emotional and spiritual energy to properly make disciples in the community and not become overwhelmed by the problems existing here. If the Ministry Director is successful, she or he will encourage the team and provide them with the tools and guidance to effectively navigate ministry in the community. The Ministry Director is a shepherd of shepherds, and she or he can discern when the team needs care and comfort or challenge and accountability. The ministry director needs to be a strong and steady voice of experience and wisdom for younger and newer staff.
- Manage staff in their programs to keep programs achieving the organization’s outcomes of Christ-following, independent, community leadership.
- Monitor and evaluate programs systematically and accurately in order to report to board and funders.
- Look for creative ways to improve programs. Draw from personal experience but also learn from peers in the field and relevant networks in the city of Houston.
- Be willing to cut programs that are not working. This position must make the hard calls when needed. The buck stops here.
- Ensure standards of excellence and core values are not violated.
- Review curriculum and lesson plans.
- Meet regularly with staff to problem-solve any issues.
- Stay within the ministry budget
- Review the annual budget with each ministry team member.
- Make responsible fiscal decisions.
Development of Lead Ministry Staff –
- Structure the work life of staff members in your care to grow and develop.
- Offer relevant, compelling training.
- Provide personal care especially considering the chaotic and trauma-filled life of our neighborhood.
- Personally observe and coach staff by attending programs.
- Recruit and hire talented Ministry Team staff.
- Select, oversee, and evaluate all ministry team staff.
- We want to develop a pipeline of gifted individuals who work for Agape Development
Leadership in the Community and on Management Team –
- Develop relationships with key community organizations and networks to promote Agape Development.
- Your credibility in those circles should help Agape extend its effectiveness.
- Discern when new partnerships would benefit or overly tax Agape Development
- Be prepared to speak on behalf of the leadership and the whole organization; represent us at local churches, colleges, or hiring fairs.
- Offer insight in management team meetings, especially regarding the ministry team perspective.
- Lead the organization along with the management team.
- Professional experience leading a group of people in mission work
- Experience in managing people for intended outcomes
- Urban ministry experience preferred
- Women and people of color are encouraged to apply
- Must be comfortable speaking publicly for Agape Development
- Background or experience in the nonprofit sector desirable
- As part of our CCDA philosophy, all fulltime ministry staff must move into the neighborhood including this role.
Starting salary commensurate with experience; healthcare plan provided.