The College Bound Coordinator is a role with multiple parts. This role is responsible for the College Bound Program, the High School Choice Program, and manages the operations of the office during the school year and the Summer Program. This role will also assist with new student recruitment. This role may not hold traditional office hours at all times, as this person may need to travel to a student’s school or home in the afternoon or evenings. This role reports to the Executive Director and works collaboratively with the rest of the Breakthrough team to ensure the programs run smoothly.
High School Choice Program
- Oversee and implement the High School Placement Curriculum: Consists of 4 classes taught during the Summer Program
- Annually update the Ultimate Resource Guide: A Packet of information regarding Denver Public High Schools.
- Conduct 1-2 annual meetings with 8th-grade parents to ensure our community is well informed on the choice process and the options available to them
College Bound Program
- 10th-grade: Innovate and implement curriculum for 10th grade Saturday Schools.
- 11th-grade: Conduct phone calls, emails and in-person visits to ensure the 11th-grade students are on track to graduate high school and apply for colleges. Provide students with the individual assistance needed. In addition, manage volunteer attendance for Saturday Schools.
- 12th-grade: Conduct phone calls, emails, and in-person visits to ensure the 12th-grade students are on track to graduate high school and have applied for college. Provide students with the individual assistance needed. In addition, manage volunteer attendance for Saturday Schools.
- Provide high school students with College Readiness resources:
- Assistance with essays, resumes, financial aid, scholarships, standardized tests, etc.
- Be willing and excited to meet students where they are at in the college bound process ready to travel to their school or home to ensure their success.
- Track all high school students and update contact/enrollment information on our database.
- Find and promote summer and school year opportunities for high school students.
- Partner with other college readiness organizations that serve our population.
School Year Operations
- Purchase and order supplies and food for Saturday Schools.
- Translation of documents and presentations for families (Spanish).
- Assist with execution of annual fundraising event.
- Manage the Breakthrough phone and return calls and messages.
Summer Program Operations
- Recruit, train, and manage high school summer volunteers.
- Manage Superheroes and All School Meeting Coordinator.
- Oversee 8th Grade/High School Placement courses.
- Coordinate parent conferences.
- Manage student attendance, morning bus drop off, and afternoon pick-ups.
- Help manage behavior situations between students.
- Assist the Communications and Program Coordinator with recruitment and presentations.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Minimum of two years of work experience in education (teaching or administration preferred) or experience working with middle and high school students.
- Passion for education and student achievement.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable presenting and advocating for Breakthrough in front of multiple audiences: students, parents, teachers, donors, etc.
- Professional demeanor, positive spirit, growth mindset, diplomacy, empathy, strong interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to be silly and fun in pursuit of helping create a strong Breakthrough community.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
This position is a full-time, year-round position. This position also receives benefits, sick-days, and vacation commensurate with other Breakthrough and Kent Denver School staff.
Start Date: June 1st, 2019 (this can be flexible)
Salary: Commensurate with experience