Works with staff, volunteers, members, and chapters, to achieve AARP’s social impact and member value goals in the South Carolina. Engages local private and public organizations in community outreach, grassroots activities, and educational forums. Works to engage members and volunteers from diverse communities in the activities of the organization.
- Serves as a member of the South Carolina team and is responsible for the development of strategies for effectively implementing AARP’s work in local communities with external organizations, academic and business groups and AARP chapters and volunteers.
- Works to develop volunteer leaders and to recruit, match, orient, train, and support volunteers in South Carolina. Creates and implements formal volunteer policies and recognition plans. Provides technical assistance in the areas of meeting planning, communications, skill development, etc. Participates in training volunteers on priority issues, strategies, policies, and state specific initiatives and communications processes focusing on volunteer leadership development.
- Expands awareness of AARP and advocates for our priorities among community, public, and non-traditional community leaders through creation and execution of AARP events and activities in community or through collaborating with community partners. Identifies and positions AARP as a critical voice for all residents of the state.
- Works in collaboration with national office staff to promote AARP’s strategic issues, priorities, programs, and activities. Facilitates interaction and communication with national office partners to request technical assistance and ensure that the proper resources are available for staff and volunteers, including issue material, talking points, updates, and briefing materials.
- Works with staff and volunteers to promote strategic issues, priorities, programs, and community engagement in multicultural audiences. Organizes and maintains visible and effective coalitions and partnerships in multicultural communities.
- Makes presentations at workshops and conferences, as appropriate. Works with volunteers on primary issues and community programming.
- Works with State staff and volunteers to develop AARP’s presence in communities through strengthening visibility and awareness of AARP’s Brand, and coordinates outreach events and activities, including advocacy initiatives and campaigns with emphasis on engaging volunteers and leaders in diverse communities
- Serves as the state lead for Veterans, Faith based, and Financial Security Outreach.
- Manages budgets related to specific job duties within the state plan.
- Demonstrates AARP values in all interactions.
- 5 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of the state’s political and human services environment.
- Volunteer Coordination experience required.
- Familiarity with communities and influencers throughout South Carolina helpful.
- Travel required at least 50% within the state. Night and weekend hours as required to meet state office needs.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.